Law Dean 'Regrets' Action by Police

Students Protest Questioning of Blacks

By David S. Hilzenrath

The Dean of Students at the law School yesterday announced her "regret" about an October 30 incident in which University Police stopped two Black students to check their identification cards.

"I regret that the stopping of the two students occurred." Dean Marry D Upton wrote in a notice printed in yesterday's issue of the Adviser, a week law school publication.

Univeristy police officers stopped the students after receiving a report of a trespasser described as a Black male with a mustache wearing a business suit.

Chief of University Police Paul I Johnson said the students who were stopped fit the description given to the police by Director of Admissions Molly Geraghty.

The Black Law Students Association (BLSA) has charged that the poose and the Law School administration acted irresponsibly in the incident.

"I am outraged that the incident occurred," said second year student Kenneth W. Lewis, who was stopped by the police. "It characterizes an in sensitivity born of ignorance" I ewis is vice-president of the BISA.

BISA members said the administration had authorized a search that could have subjected dozens of Blacks to questioning.

BISA President Sandra C. Rutin a third year student and that the police search reflected insensitivity and lack of concern" for the school's minority population.

Upton denied that officials had acted improperly, saying the situation required prompt police action.

Johnson also defended his officers conduct.

"In my opinion this is a nonissue. There was absolutely no harassment involved here," he said.

Upton nevertheless sent letters of apology to Lewis and his companion second year students Wyndell J. Wright.

"I have met with [the two students] and with representatives of BLSA and the Law School is seeking better ways of dealing with such situations in the future." Upton wrote in the Adviser letter.

Ruffin recommended that the school sponsor workshop to help school of ficials understand minority perspectives. She said Upton apparently did not realize that Black students would take offense at having to show their identification cards without reasonable cause.

"The minority community is much more sensitive to this type of issue because of the background experiences we bring with us, "explained third year student Edward H. Nela president of the Law school council.

The alleged trespasser, who eluded police, was recognized as Stephen Travis a rejected Law school applicant who posed as a student until he was caught last month. Travis was ordered off campus and told he could lace prosecution of the returned.

Because of the previous warning and because I was concerned about the safety of the Law school communes, the Harvard Police were called and given a description the individual and the exact location where he had been seen. "Upton wrote.