GEORGE KOSTAKOS

By Richard L. Meyer

George Kostakos has changed positions more times in his career on the Harvard football team than the New England Patriots have changed coaches in the last three weeks.

That's a lot of changing.

But the 6-ft., 2-in., 230 lb. junior has adjusted to his situations and has now found a spot as offensive tackle.

Kostakos began his career at Harvard as a tight end, "Last year, they [the coaches] asked me to switch," he explains.

The first switch wasn't his only one. "First I was center, then a guard, then a tackle, a guard again, center, and tackle," he says.

Playing musical positions would discourage most players, but Kostakos persevered.

"It was hard at first to adjust, but it was good [to switch so often] because I knew they were looking at me," he says.

Kostakos played in two games as a sophomore, and has played in every contest this year. "I was fortunate to get some time last year," he says, adding, "I've gotten better each game this year."

Several Ivy League schools recruited Kostakos from T.R. Proctor High School in Utica, N.Y., where "the team wasn't good, but we had fun." He says he chose Harvard because "I had always wanted to go to Harvard."

From his starting spot for the Cantabs, the Leverett House resident is inclined to give much of the credit for his success to offensive line Coach Dick Corbin and to his fellow linemates.

"Coach Corbin has stuck with me," Kostakos says. "He knows his stuff, and I've learned a lot from him.'

"The offensive line has a lot of experience, and it's helped me a lot," adds the American History concentrator. "It hasn't been easy, but they've made it easier for me."

So for now the changes are over for George Kostakos, and he has time to concentration the offensive line and to make some goals for himself and for the team.

And Kostakos has two goals in mind, to beat Penn and to win the Ivies. We'd feel really good about doing that.