MIKE PASCUCCI

By Emily J.M. Knowlton

Described as "strong and silent" by center Sam Jensen, Harvard right guard Mike Pascucci let loose recently when the Crimson's caliber wasn't up to par.

It was halftime of the Dartmouth game three weeks ago, and the score was tied at seven.

For a player who, according to offensive line coach Dick Corbin, "has said two words on the field in three years here," Pascucci's halftime pep talk came as a welcome surprise.

"Mike gave a huddle speech. It really shouldn't have been tied," says junior running back Robert Santiago. "[Safety] Cecil [Cox] said that the intensity in Mike's face made him want to go out there and hit someone."

Corbin, who recruited Pascucci from Beverly High School in nearby Beverly, Mass, says the Dartmouth talk, "was done in a professional way,' and calls the three year letterman "a winner kind of kid who desires to succeed.'

An Applied Science/Economics major who bench presses 420 pounds, Pascucci is more than just muscle.

"I don't play for the headlines," says Pascucci of his relatively unglamourous position. "When you make a hole for someone, it's for your best friend. It's very rewarding even though many people might not think so."

Santiago calls him "a terrific blocker" who contributes additional experience and strength to the right offensive side. "More than half the plays go that way," adds Santiago. "It's definitely the stronger side when you need it.'

A top high school offensive tackle and defensive end, as well, Pascucci's commitment to football is longstanding. But this year his incentives for victory are multi-fold.

No Respect

Winning the Ivy League championship this year is a matter of "earning a little respect," he says.

"This year's team was not highly thought on Many of the magazines predicted we would finish fifth. We want to prove people wrong," Pascucci adds.

Part of that means playing with injuries.

"He put them [injuries] out of his mind, says Corbin. "Make does a lot of the trap blocking, is a good pass protector and leads Vignali and Santiago out of the sweeps, Without him?" adds, Corbin, not answering and preferring not to think about it.

follow senior lineman Roger Caron says, "It's motivating knowing her halt." When describing Pascucci's burners a common but painful injury marked by shooting pains through the neck.

"Most people don't play with it but Mike does," Caron added. "It's his last chance for the championship and he ants to win pretty badly."

Councern for the team's performance before his own is a 'Scucce' characteristic, says brother Stephen Pascucci, a Harvard freshman.

"he doesn't talk about himself," the freshman defensive end says. "He's always thinking about the team...He is very modest and is better than he'll let anyone know.