Inspiration... at Times

Godspell Directed by Henry Biggs At Kirkland House, December 6-8

By Stuart A. Anfang

TWO YEARS AGO, Kirkland House Drama Society presented the highly successful Jesus Christ Superstar. Last year, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum and Fiddler on the Roof solidified the Society's reputation for being the campus representative for popular Broadway musical fare. Who knows--perhaps the religious undertones of these works were leading the gods to smile on the busy activity in Kirkland JCR? With the present production of Godspell, the Kirkland Drama Society returns to the days of Jesus, anticipating a triumphant return to the plains of Galilee. Unfortunately, divine inspiration seems to be wearing a little thin these days over in K-House.

Thinness is a problem one doesn't expect to find in a musical like Godspell. The score is contagiously catchy, the lyrics are spiritually uplifting-- one plans on walking out two hours later happy and humming. Indeed, the enthusiastic audiences in Kirkland are, for the most part, happily satisfied. It is obvious that a lot of effort and thought went into this production, and appreciative people will no doubt fill the JCR again this weekend.

The problem, however, is energy -- the show just doesn't reach the necessary spirit of excitement and maintain it consistently throughout. It is most definitely a work which depends on its cast coming together early and acting as one organic whole. But as a group, they simply don't mesh well together until the second act. The first hour remains choppy and discontinuous, possibly a flaw as much in the play itself as in the production.

INDIVIDUAL PERFORMERS and specific numbers do stand out rather readily, almost too readily-- a pointed indication that the group dynamic simply isn't there. Frettra Miller as Jesus leads a stirring "Save the People," while Ann Henry adds power and fullness to a vibrant "Bless the Lord." Ty Warren is notable among the singers, as is freshman Steve Lyne whose lead in "We Beseech Thee," where the cast finally does come together, makes the song one of the strongest numbers in the show. Nick Weir, Margery Trumble, and senior David Schanzer (appearing in his first Harvard production) deserve kudos for sharp comic timing and expression.

Although the band is limited to only four musicians, they make up for their size in volume-- sometimes overwhelming the singers, simple but effective, as is the variety of everyday clothes for costumes. Beyond the songs and the one-liners, it would be remiss to lose sight of the underlying message of Godspell -- reminding us that the gospel and parables reach important lessons about human nature and just behavior towards our fellow man. Yet is by no means a moralistic lesson, but rather a tale of people, their problems, and their faith.

So why will the Kirkland JCR be full tomorrow night? Because the play has meaning, and because it is an awful lot of fun to watch. Despite its flaws, this production strives hard to capture that fun--and occassionally succeeds. The spell won't hold for two hours, but a few brief moments of magic are better than none.