Five Harvard Gridders Named Ivy First Team

Anderson, Caron, Cox, Ford, Santiago Honored

Five Harvard football players have been named to the All-Ivy first team, and three to the second team.

Senior offensive tackle Roger Caron, making his second appearance on the first team, was a unanimous selection in the vote of Ivy head coaches.

Joining him on offense was junior running back Robert Santiago, who led the team in rushing with 138 carries for 822 yards and five touchdowns.

On defense, seniors Steve Anderson and Barry Ford and junior Cecil led the league. End Anderson and tackle Ford led the team in sacks with four each. They also had identical statistics in tackles, with 39 apiece, and in fumble recoveries, one each.

Cox's 78 tackles were good for second best on the squad and the free safety also notched one sack and an interception.

Harvard tied for second in the Ivies with a 5-4 overall record, 5-2 in the league.

Second Team Picks

Senior Mark Vignah and juniors Brent Wilkinson and Ken Tarczy were Harvard's second-team selections.

Running back Vignah teamed up with Santiago to give Harvard one of its most explosive running games ever, with the senior racking up 718 yards on 164 carries and four touchdowns.

Captain-elect Wilkinson notched 77 tackles and three sacks as well as leading the team with 24 assists.

Defensive back Tarczy led the squad in interceptions with three and had 51 tackles and two fumble recoveries.