A Positive Role

BRASS TACKS

By Laura E. Gomez

IN 1969 the University established a Committee on African and Afro-American Studies to explore the academic and cultural needs of Black students. Headed by Dean of the Faculty Henry Rosovsky, the committee's final report expressed "the sense of urgency felt by the Committee and by our witnesses" and called not only for the creation of a degree-granting Afro-American Studies committee, but also for a "social and cultural center for black students."

The language of the 1967 report illustrates a fundamental shift in administrative support for minority students. The past 15 years has seen a general change in campus race relations, mostly for the better. But while the Admissions Office has worked admirably to recruit and admit qualified students from disadvantaged minority backgrounds, other forces within the administration have not been as responsive to minority students' needs once they arrive at Harvard.

While it may seem otherwise, a recent decision by Dean of Freshman Henry C. Moses III to allow minority groups to publicize their Freshman Week orientation events in a separate calendar is indicative of the growing institutional conservatism regarding minority concerns. Moses' concession, in light of student protest against the FDO last spring, is little more than a token response to student demands. Far from following the spirit of the proposals of 1969, the College has become largely content with a hands off approach to race relations. By leaving the implementation of minority programs solely to students, the administration is effectively forfeiting its social responsibility.

The disagreement last year centered on whether or not Freshman Week activities organized by minority groups, but not limited to minority students, should be placed on the official calendar. Students later criticized Moses' seemingly random policy of allowing some non-academic activities such as sports teams meetings, meetings at Hillel, and gatherings for international students to be listed on the official calendar at the Dean's discretion. This policy was contrary to the FDO's past stand on minority concerns, which before 1981 amounted to direct sponsorship of events for minority students. Labeling the events as "separatist" and unconducive to the unity which Freshman Week is designed to foster among classmates, the FDO has now left the sponsorship of minority orientation events entirely up to students.

MOSES' objections ignore the problems minority students at Harvard face. He seems to judge as unimportant the Black Students Association's (BSA) warning to entering freshmen not to venture into South Boston for fear of physical danger or the need many minorities feel to meet upperclass role models during their first week on campus.

Although having separate calendars is better than none at all, Moses' distinctions diminish participation in minority groups to the status of any other extracurricular activity. Placing speeches by well-known minorities who do not often come to Harvard, academic advising by upperclassmen, cultural presentations, and panel discussions on race and ethnicity in American society--all part of last year's student-organized Freshman Week events--alongside swim team tryouts and the showing of Love Story, the FDO implies they are equally valuable. He has denied all freshmen the chance to learn of the broad-ranging role played by such minority organizations as the BSA. La Organizacion, American Indians at Harvard, La Raza, and the Asian American Association.

Rosovsky's 1969 report ended with a plea to the power structure: "We know that the adoption of our recommendations would cost Harvard a great deal of money. However, that is true of nearly all projects and programs. The real issue is one of intellectual and social priorities."

Unfortunately, the advice still goes unheeded.