The Major Money Programs

Pells. 50 percent entitlements, SEOGs, CWS, GSLs, NDSLs, ACHE, ACE, SSIG, TRIO--this is the language of education politics, where dozens of lobbying groups joust with congressmen and senators over arcane details of entitlement programs, loan programs, and qualification ceilings.

Here is a primer in talking education, compiled from information provided by the American Council on Education.

* Pell Grants or Basic Grants. Established in the Higher Education Act of 1972. Pell Grants provide anywhere from $200 to $1800 to students for use at any college or university. Though the money is distributed by each college or university, the government determines who is eligible. The current ceiling is $24,000 family income.

The Congress increased funding for Pells from $2.419 billion in fiscal year '83 to $2.8 billion for '84.

* Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG). Established by the Higher Education Act of 1965. SEOGs provide money for needy students as determined by the individual students. Money is distributed to schools based on how many students are enrolled in each state Congress appropriated $375 million for the current academic year.

* College Work-Study (CWS). Established in the Economics Opportunity Act of 1964. CWS pays 80 percent of money paid to students working in colleges or non-profit institutions. The colleges and universities provide the other 20 percent Congress appropriated $555 million for the current academic year.

* National Direct Student Loans (NDSL). Established by the National Defense Education Act of 1958, NDSLs provide low-interest loans distributed directly to schools based on how many students are enrolled. The program provides 90 percent of the money, with the colleges and universities putting up the other 10 percent and deciding who receives the money. Congress appropriated $161 million for the current academic year, $18 million less than last year.

* State Student Incentive Grants (SSIG). Established in 1972. SSIGs encourage states to set up their own scholarship programs. States match federal grants and pass the money on to institutions. For fiscal year '84. Congress appropriated $76 million.

* Guaranteed Student Loan Program (GSL). Established in 1965. GSLs provide a buffer for students, insuring private loans, subsidizing loan interest while the student is in school, and making up the differences between the student interest rate and market rates.

* TRIO. Programs which encourage disadvantaged students and students from families which have never attended college.