The Judges Rule in Harvard's Favor: It's Murder One as Cagers Roll, 91-51

By Marie B. Morris

Momenturn," they say, is mass times velocity. But for some sports teams it means much more.

For the, Harvard men's basketball team, momentum is currently a force so irresistible that nothing, not even the absence of a three-year starter can stop it.

Junior guard Bob Ferry watched from the bench again last night as his teammates--all of his teammates--trampled a hapless Branders squad, 91-51, at Briggs Athletic Center.

With Ferry still sidelined by a weekend foot injury and the visiting Judges shooting a miserable 323 from the floor, the whole Crimson lineup got into the act, giving Harvard an 11-8 record to tote into this weekend's crucial Ivy contests at Penn and Princeton. Brandies's record falls to 4-16.

"It's a real morale booster," Crimson Coach Frank McLaughlin said. "We don't have the luxury of really dominating a lot of teams.

Winning by 40 was nice remarked sophomore Pat Smith.

And the dominating came from Harvard players who usually appear only in warmops. The subs turned a 25-point advantage with 12 minutes left into the Crimson's biggest single-game output this season.

The Judges led for a little less than a minute, 2-0, and then the Harvard scoring machine went to work. Junior forward Joe Carrabino moved into a tie for fourth on Harvard's career scoring list as his game-high 24 brought his three-year point total to 1201.

Arne Duncan came up with 11 points and came down with six rebounds. Freshman guard Keith Webster, bouncing back from a 1-for-9 performance Monday night against Lehigh, showed continued poise in ball handling and put 10 points on the board.

And after four points from senior Co-Captain Ken Plutnicki and a bucket by points guard Smith--who turned in yet another in a series of consistently excellent performances--the game belonged to the subs, who tallied the remaining 40.

Sophomore Greg Wildes came off the bench eight minutes into the game and had 13 points on the evening. Senior Co-Captain Monroe Trout and Junior guard Kevin Boyle soon followed, tossing in six and three, respectively.

But the laurels want to 6-ft. 8-in. sophomore center Felipe Farley, who had a season and career high five points, and sophomore Bill Parkerson, who had seven. "It feels great--it was the first points of my varsity career," Parkerson said.

Parkerson was 1-for-1 from the free-throw line, as was junior Kyle Standley, who was 1-for-4 with six points. And while they didn't make it onto the scoreboard. Ben Danielson and John Simbeck made it onto the court, as did freshman Bob Dougherty, who pitched in some smooth ball handling.

The cagers now go into the most important weekend of the year riding high, with Ferry's injury a major question mark of the road trip. "We're physically and emotionally ready for the weekend," McLaughlin said, but added. "We've got to win some of these road games." The Crimson has won just one of its last 17 road games--two weeks ago, at Columbia.

"There's going to be no problem with getting everybody up for this weekend." Smith said. "We're playing well--if we're playing smart, we're going to win," Wildes added.

"If I was going somewhere with a group of guys," McLaughtlin remarked, "these are the guys I'd want to go with."

THE NOTEBOOK: Carrabino is now tied with Dale Dover for fourth on the all-time scoring list. James Brown is third with 1242 and Keith Sedlacek is just ahead of him at 1262; Carrabino should pass both this season. In first with 1797 points is three-time All-Ivy forward Don Fleming.

At Briggs Atheistic Center

HARVARD (91)--Ken plutnicki 2-0--4; Duncan Dunoan 5-1-11; Joe Carrabino 7-10-24; Pat Smith 1-0--2; Keith Webster 4-2--10; Greg Wides 5-3--13; Monroe Trout 2-2--6; Kevin Boyle 1-1--0; Falipe 2-1--5; Bob Daugherty 0-0--0; Kyle Standley 1-4--6; Ben Denieison 0-0--0; Bill Parker 3-1--7; John Simbeck 0-0--0 Totals 33-25--91

BRANDEIS (61)--William Mardly 2-0--4; Robert Press 0-0--0; Jonathan Witz 3-4--10; Lawrence Leahy 0-0--0; Robert Patten 3-0--6; James Hicks 1-0--2Alan Peartistein 1-0--2; Evan Chipkin 0-0--0; Paul Deale 0-2--2; Paul Cellucol 7-3--17; Dennis Tobin 4-0--8; Dave Power 0-0--0; Simon Rothirug 0-0--0; Mike Libowitz 0-0--0; Totals 21-9--61.

Heltime: 42-20, H

Alt--200