Understanding Israel's Side

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Once again The Crimson has printed an article attacking Israel's immorality. The author of this particular misguided missive is Charles T. Kurzman, who demonstrates a very limited understanding of Israel and the Middle East Mr. Kurzman argues that it is time for Israel to "grow up, understand its Muslim neighbors, rather than blindly hate them." He further claims that Israel's isolated position in the world is "a result of Israel's obstinacy." In all this, and in the rest of his validity of his arguments, but the haziness of his thinking.

Following the lead of most of the world (and the world press). Mr. Kurzman desires to hold Israel to a higher moral standard than that of other nations. Thus, the fact that most of the Western world, and nearly all the countries of Black Africa, engage in trade and relations with South Africa seems unimportant to him. Instead, Israel must be singled out for its association with that admittedly repulsive state But Mr. Kurzman, here as in the rest of his muddled account, ascribes to Israel the fault for circumstances created almost wholly by her enemies. During the 1960s, Israel justifiably prided itself on its extensive and program for undeveloped African states. Israeli advisers and technicians were active all over Africa. But then came the Yom Kippur War (one thing, at least, that Mr. Kurzman does not have the audacity to blame on Israel), and the Arab oil embargo in 1973. Suddenly deciding to cast its lot with its (newly rich) "Arab brethren." Black Africa broke off relations with Israel and began voting as a block with the Arabs and against Israel at the U.N. At the same time, the West Europeans, who have always put money ahead of morality, became markedly cooler in their relations with Israel, and attempted to steer a neutral course in the Arab-Israeli conflict.

It does not take a genius to assess the situation. Israel had lost its former supporters in Africa and Europe, received nothing but hostility from the Soviet bloc and the so-called non-aligned stated, and thus had only one reliable ally (the U.S.) and only a very few trading partners. That the Israelis turned to the other "black sheep" if the world community. South Africa and Taiwan, is not surprising. Yet Mr. Kurzman tells us that Israel should break off relations with South Africa, since her practical need for friends should not out-weigh her morality.

His argument is based on his contention that Israel's isolation is her own fault. He seems to feel that Israel, having been attacked by the combined weight of the entire Arab world three times during her short existence, and having been plagued by the hateful PLO, should now cease her defensive arms build-up, and try to understand and negotiate with a group of countries which have yet to even recognize her existence. If she does not then she is, according to Mr. Kurzman, obstinate (the term most favored by the press to describe Israel is "intransigent," which somehow never gets applied to the Arabs). That Israel was prepared to negotiate in 1967, but was rebuffed by the Arabs, and that Israel has already shown its willingness to trade land for security in the Camp David accords, in unimportant to Mr. Kurzman and others who are trying to blame the entire unfortunate situation in the Middle East on Israel

The whole issue seems to rest upon the world's desire to force Israel to live up to some impossible standard Other countries wreak violence and destruction at will and are never called to account (Syria and Soviet Union spring immediately to mind), while Israel is condemned for even being indirectly involved in "immorality." Israel does indeed practice a higher morality; its troops risk their own lives rather than endanger civilians, and its society is free and open. But Israel cannot afford to be unrealistic. She is surrounded by hostile neighbors, and is scorned by a hypocritical world, much of which thinks it is immoral for a Jew to flight no matter what the circumstances. Israel's morality is just fine, Mr. Kurzman, and so perhaps it is time for you and your ilk to aim your high-minded sermons and your misdirected morality toward a place where it is really needed--and the rest of the world. Eric Stockel '84