Coin Op Processors Losing Money

System To Be Reorganized

By Christopher J. Georges

Harvard's experimental coin-operated word processing system has fallen far short of playing for itself, and may undergo substantial organization soon, officials said yesterday.

We are making about one-third to one-ball of our target of breaking even," said Marcuv Van Baalen '66 of the Office for Information Technology.

More than 40 of the machines, which cost $2 per hour to use are located across campus, and while those placed in the Science Center, the Freshman Union and Mather House have been busy, other spots are seeing no use at all.

Some places are hotbeds of activity, and others are doing nothing," van Baalen explained, adding that the office may move some of the word processors out of locations with lower demand.

Students have complained that the cost of $2 an hour seem overly sleep and this discouraged use of the computers, which are on loan from Digital Equipment Corporation but van Baalen said the price will not be lowered.

To cover operating costs, the machines must be in use at least six hours a day, van Baalen explained.

What is to Be Done?

The University has taken several steps to encourage students to use the word processors, including:

* A student consultant is "on call" 16 hours a day at the Science Center to answer questions and give advice.

* The Office for Information Technology is meeting regularly with students and with representatives of the Undergraduate Council and the Harvard Computer Club to determine where best to locate the word processors.

* The office has also distributed a questionnaire across campus to find out student needs.

"Right now, we're all ears and are ready to look at all corners of the program," van Baalen said. The University has already shifted around some of the units to accommodate high demand at the Kennedy School of Government, and may soon install units at the Law School.

Although Harvard has lost money with the word processors, van Baalen said that he feels the program is nevertheless "a tremendous success. The practical experience gained in handling maintenance and supply problems is invaluable."

"Once people start using the word processors, they won't go back to using their Smash Coronas," van Baalen said.