Icemen to Face Yale in Crucial Division Contest

By Mike Knobler

It isn't a must-win game...for Harvard. But if the Yale men's hockey team is going to stop the Crimson from gaining its third straight ECAC Ivy Division title, the Elis must stop Harvard tonight at the New Haven Coliseum.

As the regular season races to a close, Harvard holds a two-game lead over Yale in the loss column. Even if the Crimson should lose tonight, it could clinch the championship winning its last four games--three of which are at Bright Center. On the other hand, if Harvard wins tonight. Yale would have to sweep its last three games and Harvard would have to go under .500 the rest of the way for the Elis to grab the crown.

When the two teams met February 4 at Bright, the Crimson skated to a 2-1 lead in the first period. Yale outshot the Cantabs, 27-9, in the last 40 minutes, but sophomore goalie Grant Blair saved the night--all 27 times.

Since then, Yale has won three straight games, while Harvard has gone 1-2, with both losses coming in the Beanpot and thus not counting in the conference standings.

The ECAC Ivy Division Race

At a Glance

Harvard (8-7-1 ECAC. 8-9-1 overall)

Feb. 18 at Yale, Feb. 21 at UNH, Feb. 24 vs. Cornell, Feb. 25 vs. Princeton, Feb. 28 vs. Brown.

Yale (8-9-0 ECAC, 10-12-0 overall)

Feb. 18 vs. Harvard, Feb. 21 at Cornell, Feb. 24 vs. UNH, Feb. 25 at Brown.