Vacation Meal Plan May Fold Unless More Students Sign-Up

By Mary F. Cliff

The proposal plan for Food Services to offer meals over spring vacation may be scrapped unless about 100 student sign up today dining hall officials said yesterday.

The deadline was extended to this evening after only 170 people signed up for the meals by dinner Wednesday: and members of the Undergraduate Council are recruiting students spending spring break in Cambridge in an effort grt the minimum of 300 food Services needed to make the plan economical.

Under the proposal, Food Service would offer lunch and dinner in Kirkland House for eight days at a cost of $54.98 which would be added to students' term bills.

Hoping to step up enrollment, members of the Residential Committee of the Undergraduate Council have been making last minute efforts to publican the meal plan and to solicit sign-ups from various groups, such as athletes, who will be on campus over vacation, committee chairman Kelly L. Kiegar '85 said yesterday.

"We've put new posters all over the Union and the Houses, and we've gone directly to the coaches of the teams who will be staying here and asked them to remind their athletes to sign up," she said.

Other members of the committee spent the day delivering the food contracts to "the crew teams and other students who have to be here over vacation," said council member Adam J. Augustynski '36- "We really want them to understand the urgency of signing up now and not putting it off until it's too late." he added.

The lack of enthusiasm for the plan is largely due to its cost, Klegar said. "A lot of people, especially freshman who are new to the area, think they can eat more inexpensively in the Square. But $54-88 is a lot less than you can eat for in Cambridge.

But for some students it's more a matter of taste. "It's easier and more pleasant for me just to stock the refrigerator and then be able to eat when and what I want." said Holly A. Swartz '85 who will be working on her main stage production of Love Comedy over the spring break. "It'll probably cost about the same but not eating in the dining hall makes it seem more like vacation," she added.