Harvard Swamped by Orders for Discount Macs

By D. JOSEPH Menn

Three weeks ago, a New York Times article described a deal between several universities. Harvard among them, and Apple Inc. whereby new Macintosh computers will be sold to students substantially below their retail value.

Since the Times article, 600 students have applied to buy Macintoshes, J. Lance R. Jackson, an official at the Science Center said yesterday. Several hundred more names have been wait-listed at the Equipment Store run by the Office of Information technology. Constance F. Towler, manager of information services, says.

Although none of the cut-rate buyers have received computers yet, these students anticipated what may prove to be the PC sale of the century, with potential black-market profits of several hundred dollars.

Some would-be Apple-pickers may immediately resell their machines to entrepreneurs who have placed a recent rash of advertisements offering to strike a bargain.

Command Economy

Harvard, however, has no intention of letting the laws of supply and demand run their course.

Administrators in the Division of Applied Sciences and Harvard lawyers have been trying to devise a way of halting the black market and will continue scheming at least until the first crop of Apples arrives in a few weeks.

Dean of the Division Paul C. Martin '51 yesterday mentioned leasing Macintoshes at below-market rates, in lieu of outright sales, as one possible strategy. "It is not our purpose to help students make a quick buck," Martin explains. Alfred A. Pandiscio, associate director of information technology, added that the initial PC's "will probably go to those persons who would make the best use of it," though he did not indicate how such distribution decisions might be made.

Big Brother

McKay Professor of Computer Science Harry R. Lewis '68 said last week that reselling the computers for profit "is clearly against the intent of the program, and students doing so will be liable for disciplinary action."

Apple officials, who admit black marketeering is already a problem elsewhere, may attempt to keep track of serial numbers to discourage resale and allow only one Macintosh per customer. Harvard may also force buyers to sign an agreement not to resell.

But with Macintosh delivery weeks away, these possible safeguards do not appear to have cut demand.