Food Services Might Reject Spring Break Meal Program

Law student may force Food Services to cancel an experimental plan to serve meals over spring break. University officials said yesterday

As of yesterday, the program is 100 short of the 300 participants it needs to break even, according to David A. Weddelton. a Food Services staff member.

If Director of Food Services Frank J. Weissbecker approves the plan. Kirkland House will serve lunch and dinner from Saturday, March 24, through Sunday, April 1.

Meals will be available on an eight-day contract or on an a la carte basis.

The Undergraduate Council, sponsor of the plan, had originally set last Wednesday as the deadline for sign-ups but extended it to Friday when only 150 students responded.

To increase student awareness of the spring option, the council last week funded a publicity campaign which included posters, meetings with athletic teams, and a paper drop at the Union council member kelly L. Klegar '85 said yesterday.

"At $54.58 for the week, costs are a prohibitive factor, and people may think they can eat out for less." Klegar said. She added that there might he more interent later when people have more definite plans for the March recens.

Dingusting

Although he has not evaluated the exact cost of providing the food. Weissbecker said yesterday that the University is unwilling to take a loss on the program.

Weissbecker added that he would consider raising the price of the eight-day contract to make up such a loss.

Benjamin H. Walcott, assistant director of Food Services, said that the University does not anticipate any problems with students pilfering food instead of subscribing to the plan