NCAA Tourney

Georgetown 37, SMU 36

Michael Jackson's free throw with eight seconds to go gave second-ranked Georgetown a 37-36 victory over upset-minded Southern Methodist University yesterday in the second round of the NCAA West Regional basketball tournament in Pullman, Wash.

Jackson made the front end of a one-and-one free throw situation to put the Hoyas, the No. 1-seeded team in the West, ahead 37-34.

Jackson missed his second free-throw opportunity and Carl Wright of the Mustangs hit a 25-foot jump shot with one second left.

By winning, Georgetown, 30-3, advanced to the West Regional semifinals against 3rd-ranked Nevada-Las Vegas, 29-5, in Los Angeles Friday night.

Two-time All-American center Patrick Ewing's inside defense keyed a second-half Georgetown comeback after SMU, 25-9, left the court with a 24-16 intermission lead in a low-scoring game dictated by the Mustangs' deliberate style.

DePaul 75, Illinois State 71

Tyrone Corbin scored 20 points and Kenny Patterson had 14, leading DePaul to a 75-61 victory over Illinois State in the second round of the NCAA Midwest Regional basketball tournament yesterday in Lincoln, Neb.

Louisville 69, Tulsa 67

Guard Milt Wagner sank a 12-foot shot from the right baseline with five seconds left in the game to lift Louisville to a 69-67 upset victory over 12th-ranked Tulsa yesterday in the quarterfinals of the NCAA Mideast Regional Tournament in Milwaukee.

Louisville, 24-10, advances to the semifinal round Thursday against Kentucky at Lexington, Ky.

Illinois 64, Villanova 56

Swingman Doug Alternberger scored eight of his 12 points in the second half to help sixth-ranked Illinois turn back Villanova, 64-56, in the quarterfinals of the NCAA Mideast Regional basketball tournament yesterday in Milwaukee.

Illinois, 25-4, advances to the regional semifinals at Lexington, Ky., where it meets Maryland, 24-7, on Thursday night.

Illinois took the lead for good with eight straight points to go up 14-6 with 8:36 left in the first half. Altenberger triggered the spurt with two jumpers.