Hairstyle For a Lifestyle

In politics, it's Gary Hart. In music, it's Michael Jackson. Is hair, apparently, it's Connie Sullivan.

If it's new, it's cool, and among the Boston coiffure set Sullivan is tops.

The barber shop went out wish knickers and Milton Berle, and Sullivan, a world-famous hairdresser working in Beantown says the hair salon, the latest trend in hairdressing, is on its way out, also.

"They won't survive just doing hair," Sullivan says of the archaic shops which only out your hair.

Take Sullivan's two Boston shops, called Geneses, as a case in point.

Not only does Geneses feature the latest in hair design, it also offers a complete health spa with sauna, steam, whirlpool, and exercise room.

Indeed, Connie Sullivan appears to have it all. Her work is featured in numerous fashion magazines. In addition, she has demonstrated in the last three years an uncanny knack for predicting hair trends of the near future. As a result, she is internationally recognized for her work in the hair care field.

Why is this hairdresser so successful? Sullivan believes that her motto, "fashion dictates hair," keeps her "ahead of the pack."

Customers of Gencess are satisfied with their hair because Sullivan takes the time to consider their age, lifestyle, complexion, and hair quality. She tailors the latest styles of hair to the individual needs of each customer.

Sullivan offers a bit of hair care philosophy. "If you know what you're doing, and if you care, the whole world will come to you."

But Sullivan's greatest fame in the coiffure world comes from her ability to predict future hair trends. She attends seminars and carefully watches the trends in the fashion magazines in order to coordinate her hair styles with the latest in clothing.

"Fashion dictates hair, and hair must mix with clothes," says Sullivan.

Asked how she knows which hair styles bleed with the newest in fashion, Sullivan replies, "Fashion always repeats itself." For instance, Sullivan points our, the recent surge in popularity of "the bob cuts of the '40s" was due to the reappearance of clothing from that era.

"Of course," adds Sullivan, "we update the styles" to coincide with the modern image.

Sullivan's worldwide hair business reputation builds on a solid Boston base. "Her work is excellent," a hairdresser at Elaganza Coiffures and Boutique in Cambridge observed. "She's superb," echoes Jay A. Dod, owner of Roland Hairdresser in Boston. "I go to her myself," he added.

Dod says that much of Sullivan's world renown rests on a clearly constructed base of publicity and exposure. Every high-fashion magazine ad, "has Connie Sullivan in it," Dod says. "She's a smart business woman, a crackerjack."

There is, however, some skepticism about Sullivan's talent. Annette from Eleganza says. "I don't really think anyone can predict the future. Hair styles are always changing."

Dod also alludes to the cyclical nature of hair styles. "The same thing is generated over and over again," says Dod hinting that perhaps there is no magic in the forecasting of styles.

But Sullivan's Geneses do more than just hair. They also specialize in general health care. The combination of hair care, manicures, pedicures, acrobic exercise, and dieting suggestions are the trend of the future

Sullivan predicts that her new high-tech salons with soon drive the old barber shop completely out of the hair universe. To prepare for this revolution, the Geneses in Chestnut Hill and Faneuil Hall are designed for men and women of all ages.

Along with her two thriving salons Sullivan is writing a soon-to-be-published book entitled. "The Art of Designing Hair." The book, as the tide suggests, will feature some of Sullivan's creative approaches to hair styling in the post-barber shop age.Hair Designer Connie Sullivan