McGovern Denounces Hunger In America, Criticizes Reagan

Democratic Presidential candidate George S. McGovern called for a bipartisan effort to end hunger in America in a speech before a crowd of about 100 yesterday at the School of Public Health.

The former South Dakota Senator criticized the Reagan Administration for declaring "a war not on hunger but on the programs that had done so much to alleviate hunger."

McGovern seemed relaxed, though somewhat weary, as he reiterated one of his platform's major themes--that the only way to end hunger and malnutrition in the country is to divert money from the defense budget.

Survivor

McGovern is the only one of the five remaining Democratic candidates currently campaigning in Massachusetts. He has stated publicly that if he finishes lower than second in next Tuesday's state primary, he will drop out of the race.

As the party's 1972 nominee, McGovern won only Massachusetts and the District of Columbia in the general election.

McGovern pointed to his own success as chairman of the Senate Committee on Nutrition and Human Needs in eradicating much of the country's hunger problem, calling it "the greatest single success story of American government in recent years."

"I think hunger will worsen over the next four years because any Administration will inherit a $200 billion federal deficit," said McGovern.

McGovern distinguished himself from fellow Democratic candidates Walter F. Mondale and Sen Gary W. Hart (D-Colo.), saying that Mondale plans to increase defense spending by 4 percent while he will cut defense spending by 25 percent.

McGovern, however, conceded that Hart would make a better President after eight more years of instruction." He added that "new ideas depend on virtue, not newness. We don't need a new disease."

But McGovern said he will support the Democratic candidate no matter who is nominated.

"There's nobody running for the Democratic nomination that isn't better than Reagan, he said. "I think he's the most dangerous man ever to occupy the White House I think we're headed for war if he stays there."

Although he was never interrupted by applause during his speech. McGovern did receive a standing ovation as he left the hall.

"He's more viable than Jesse Jackson," said Harvey Himel, a student at SPH. "He's a real Jeffersonian."

"I voted for him before (in 1972) and I'll vote for him again," said Mary Beth Smuts, another Public Health student, adding. "I think it's necessary to vote your conscience."