Prime Minister Seaga Confirms Support of U.S. Caribbean Policy

Prime Minister of Jamaica Edward P G Seaga '52 last night confirmed his support of President Reagan's Caribbean policies in an address to a small, sedate crowd at the Law School.

"Democratic spirit in the Caribbean is like a river which will always find a place to flow," Seaga said.

But the Prime Minister criticized the American people for their lack of understanding of Caribbean problems.

"Jamaicans resent their country being considered just a vacation paradise and something to watch on the evening news," Seaga said.

Instead, he added, his country is a valuable economic trade partner. "We must improve the transfer of resources exported from the Caribbean. We must make the Caribbean a productive center and obtain the foreign exchanged that we need," Seaga said.

Seaga, an ideological ally of President Reagan, credited U.S.-Jamaican cooperation with the revitalization of the Jamaican economy. "We have had astounding results in getting American corporate interests to invest in Jamaica."

In a question period after the hour-long speech, Seaga defended his treatment of the opposition party. "When opposition to my government arose, I had two choices. I could either have resigned or held an election. As my resignation would have caused great trauma to the people of Jamaica. I decided to hold elections." The opposition party boycotted the December 1983 elections, and Seaga's Labour Party took all 60 seats in the Parliament.

On the subject of Grenada, Seaga said that Jamaica, which sent an invasion force to aid the U.S. Marines, was entitled to remove the threat of an "Amin-like leader" under the write of the Organization of Eastern Carbbcan states.

"Marxism is a political philosophy alien to the Caribbean nations," the Prime Minister said