Super Stanford

Renovations on Stanford University Stadium's press box, locker rooms, ticket booths and concession areas began last week in preparation for Super Bowl XIX, which will take place in Palo Alto next January.

The decision to stage the game became final in the spring of 1983, and the Stanford site will mark the first time pro football's championship will be held in the Bay Area.

According to Associate Director of Athletics Alan Cummings, the college will host the game "to give positive exposure to the athletic program at Stanford."

Cummings added that the National Football League will pay for the new press area and the temporary lighting but that the University would still face a cost of about $1.15 million for improvements of locker rooms, ticket booths, and concession areas.

In order to complete the necessary improvements by July 1, when Stanford hosts nine Summer Olympic soccer matches, the Stanford Athletic Department initiated a $750,000 fundraising program.

Tickets for Super Bowl XVIII (in Tampa Bay Stadium) sold at a minimum cost of $60 and are expected to cost about the same next year.

"There's going to be a few tickets available to students. As the game nears, and we know how many we'll have available, we'll set up some kind of ticket lottery program," Cummings said.