No Excuses

THE MAIL

To the Editors of the Crimson:

It is undeniable that the sentiments expressed in the Pi Eta newsletter, whether a "parody" or not, are totally offensive to a substantial part of the Harvard community, myself included. Were it up to me, the Pi Eta would by now only be a bad memory. But, for good or bad, that power is not mine.

I think it important to look at the defenses given the newsletter and the Pi Tea. Calling the newsletter a parody is by all measures a well known on this and other campuses. This reputation could be best summed up by the response you give to your sister, a student at Simmons, for example, when she asks your advice after receiving an invitation to a party at the Pi Eta.

Putting the newsletter aside. I see that in discussions of whether or not the club should be closed, it has been argued that the Pi Eta performs a vital function for the Harvard community. I know of no services given to the community by the Pi Eta, with the possible exceptions of loud parties for its members, lethal amounts of alcohol for its members, and, as the newsletter points out, unlimited sex for its members. While social functions are unquestionably important and an integral part of any college experience, they are not enough to tip the scales in favor of this organization. It the Pi Eta does serve some other community function, we could all undoubtedly benefit from such knowlege.

In the off chance that the Pi Eta or its alumni board might be seeking some worthy community service project into which it might direct some energy and money. I might point out that RESPONSE now exists in very cramped quarters in the tunnels of Lowell House. 45 Mt. Auburn St. seems the perfect location for the new spacious home of RESPONSE and its newly established Pi Eta Library. Start A. Kirsch '84-'85