Class Gift

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

As a member of the 1983 Class Committee. I read with interest your article on the Endowment for Divestiture. "Year Old Divestiture Fund on Road to Security," Unfortunately, your glowing average of this year's fundraising efforts did a disservice to members of the Class of 1983 who struggled with the issues posed by the new fund last spring. Your article suggested that fewer seniors gave to the Senior Gift last year than did in previous years because they were "uninformed." That nation is at best inaccurate, and more than likely groundless.

It seems implausible to explain the 22 percent drop in participation as the result of a death of information, there was no such death. During the Kickoff for the Senior Gift drive, the 1983 Gift Co-Chairmen sent each senior a letter explaining the nature and purpose of the class gift. For its part, the Endowment for Divestiture Committee held its first press conference in mid-April. Shortly after this conference, the 1983 Class Committee sent all seniors an informational letter which included both the Endowment for Divestiture and the Senior Gift as viable options. At year's end, the Class Committee helped organize a panel discussion on South African issues.

If last year's seniors lacked anything, they lacked the time and a calm environment in which to examine their options. That was inevitable; the Endowment did not begin to take its present shape until late March. Moreover, the initial discussion often generated more heat than light. Given ideal conditions, perhaps more members of the class of 1983 would have participated in the Senior Gift. Conversely, more may have abstained.

The Class of 1984 should take advantage of its opportunity to assess each fund carefully. The implications of a gift to either or both of them merits serious consideration. James E. Johnson   First Marshal   Harvard Class of 1983