Law Student Awes Classmates On 'Sale of the Century' Show

By Jonathan N. Brachman

Ever since "The Price is Right" first aired, every housewife and little kid in America has dreamed of winning big on a game show.

Steven P. Warren, who is neither a housewife nor a little kid, recently played on the "Sale of the Century" show and won $40,000 in cash and prizes. Warren is a second-year student at Harvard Law School and, right now, he is a very happy man.

Yesterday Warren and about 100 other law students gathered around a projection TV in Harkness Commons to watch him triumph in his sixth and final game. The students drank champagne and cheered Warren as he fought it out with competitors Ellie and Mike on the big screen.

Warren played on April third and fourth while he was in California over spring break. The six games appeared on TV April 20-27.

Warren's winnings include a $30,000 Corvette, a $2200 trip to the Bahamas, a $1200 stereo, an oven, a range, a recliner, and $3100 in cash.

Warren jumped to an early lead in his last game. Swiftly answering questions such as "A jury must be convinced that a defendant is guilty beyond any reasonable..." (doubt). Warren did not have to crack a book and soon outdistanced Mike and Ellie.

But his lead was not to last long. Warren began to slip on questions that some might have considered easy, like "Where is "Saturday Night Live's Conehead family from?" (France, not England). Mike, meanwhile, captured the lead.

Mike might have kept it, had he been able to resist the juicy Instant Bargains offered to him between rounds. Mike squandered his lead on a trip to Las Vegas and he entered the final round neck and neck with Warren.

It was in this final speed round that Warren proved his mettle. He answered nearly every question and garnered enough Sale of the Century dollars to purchase the Corvette.

Warren, who did not see his score during the round actually buzzed for one more question than he needed to during the frenetic speed round. Had he not known that Neil Simon wrote The Odd Couple. Warren might not own the sporty automobile that he does today.

Warren said he used to watch Sale of the Century in its earlier form when he was eight. Adding, "I've loved game shows since I was a little kid."

He has also played on "The Wheel of Fortune" game show two years ago, though less successfully. He added that he can only play on one more game show before he reaches the legal limit.