Black Sparks Laxwomen, 11-2

Crimson Moves Win Streak to Three

By Jeffrey A. Zucker

Lisa Black's aggressive behavior earned her a word with the official mid was through the second half of yesterday's Harvard women's lacrosse home opener.

But it probably also earned her a season reprieve.

Pulled from the starting lineup at season's start (because Coach Carole Kleinfelder said she "wasn't being aggressive enough"). Black yesterday came off the bench to score everything but a TKO of the visiting Boston College laxwomen.

The junior forward sparked an AWOL Harvard offense contributing five second half goals to pace the Crimson to an M-2 pasting of the crosstown Eages before 50 fans on Soldiers Field.

And the overly aggressive performance that earned the official's warning during the game earned the coach's praise after the game.

"If she keeps playing like that she'll earn herself a starting spot," Kleinfelder said.

That would mean a return to the spot the Concord Mass native held for several games on last year's squad a team many consider far more talented than the one Black has watched from the sidelines much of this season.

"It's been frustrating." Black said of this year's position on the bench. But the season's still young.

That fact probably accounted most for the Crimson's first half woes. The Eagles nowhere near as talented as the Crimson soared for the game's opening few minutes as they held the Harvard offense in check.

Shortage

Noticeably plagued by a lack of out door practice time, the laxwomen missed several key passes and found themselves up only 4-0 at the half.

What kept the Cantabs in control until Black's arrival was the continued impressive play of Harvard's defense fed by juniors Ellen O'Neill, Andy Mainelli and Jennifer Greeley, the Crimson defense made life tougher for the Eagles than a Lisa Black shot on goal.

And that made life easier for Harvard goaltender Krickett Johnson.

"It's kind of convenient" to have such a talented defense, said Johnson, who didn't allow a goal in her 30 minutes of action.

And although Sarah Sewall is out with a sprained ankle and Trina Burnham left for the sidelines yesterday with a similar problem, the defensive depth is proving the Crimson's strongest asset. And with Black's aggressive return to top form, the Crimson's liabilities keep diminishing.

That's good news for a squad that will move into high gear now that the weather has cooperated. Now 3-1 on the season and riding a three-game wirming streak, the Crimson is back practicing outside and set for a showdown with Holy Cross Thursday and Vermont Saturday.

THE NOTEBOOK: Captain Maggie Hart contributed four goals yesterday and Claire Farley the other three.

Thursday's game at Holy Cross is set for a 3.30 p.m. start. Wet fields in Worcester, however, may move the game to Soldiers Field... Genie Simmons replaced Burnham yesterday at the midfield position.