100 Students Picket Pi Eta Club Party

Arrest

By Peter J. Howe

A Crimson photographer will be arraigned in Middlesex County District Court this morning on trespassing charges following his arrest during Saturday night's demonstration at the Pi Eta Speakers Club.

Gilad Y. Ohana '85, The Crimson's associate photography chairman, was arrested by two Cambridge Police officers at 9:40 p.m. after he allegedly stepped off the Mt. Auburn St. sidewalk to shoot a picture from the bottom of the club's front step.

Ohana was taken down Mr. Auburn St to Mass Ave. where he was transferred to a paddy wagon, and then taken to the Cambridge Police station in Central Square.

Ohana was released on $15 bail at 11 p.m. Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III, upon notified by The Crimson, came to the police station to assist in Ohans's release.

Ohana denied the allegations against him and said he would contest the charges.

Jonathan M Weintraub '86, one of the three Crimson editors who followed the paddy wagon to the police station, said that a Cambridge Police sergeant told him at 10 p.m. that Ohana was being held in protective custody because he was intoxicated.

Ohana, however, said he had no drinks all days Saturday.

Weintraub said he asked about the procedures for lodging a complaint about the arrest but said he was told by an officer that if The Crimson protested. Ohana would he arrested for trespassing and taken to Distract Court that night

Later, police did charge Ohana with trespassing and dented that he was drunk or being held in protective custody.

Cambridge Police officials declined to comment on the conduct of the arresting officers or booking officers.

First Time

The case apparently marks the first time since 1969 that a Crimson reporter or photographer has been arrested while covering a story in Cambridge, according to Epps.

When state and local police raided University Hall on April 10, 1969, following the student takeover of the building, a Crimson photographer was arrested.

Three Crimson photographers and two reporters were arrested during The Pogo riot of May 15, 1952, in support of cartoonist Walt Kelly One photographer had his film confiscated by Cambridge Police. They were charged with disturbing the peace and all released that night on $27 bail apiec