Young Says Jackson Lacks Appeal to Broad Constituency

By David S. Hilzenrath

A Black candidate will not be elected President without mounting a full-scale campaign appealing to all segments of the electorate, which the Rev. Jesse L. Jackson has not done. Mayor of Atlanta Andrew Young said yesterday in an appearance at the Law School.

Fielding questions from an audience of 200 in the Law School Forum, the former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations and Black civil rights leader said that Jackson's campaign for the Democratic nomination is aimed solely at mobilizing a minority constituency and airing minority issues.

"Some of us from the South felt as though we didn't need his [Jackson's] candidacy, and really didn't want it. We've been building multi-racial politics: we've already got rainbow coalitions," Young said.

Young, who has received recent attention for not endorsing his fellow minority leader, assailed Jackson repeatedly during the 90-minute forum, which touched on issues ranging from the Presidential campaign to the Reagan Administration's Africa policy.

"The key to politics in a multi-ethnic democracy is not to get your own constituency, but to demonstrate that you can get others," Young asserted.

Serious Candidacy

A successful Black bid for the Presidency would require a two-to three-year commitment and an early grassroots effort in New Hampshire, according to Young, who said, "It takes a lot more time than Jesse Jackson had and it takes a lot more money and organization, but it's got to be a serious candidacy."

Young also faulted Jackson for relegating young Black intellectuals to functionary roles in his campaign; asserting that they should be set to the tank of formulating policy.

In an interview after the forum. Young said that he has withheld his active support from Jackson because "the real problem is to get the Democrats together."

Mondale

Buy Young also criticized former Vice President Walter F. Mondale on several points.

He accused Mondale of having an indecisive stance on U.S. foreign policy in Central America, citing the candidate's delayed opposition to the invasion of Grenada.

Later, Young said that Mondale erred politically by condemning U.S. relations with the Republic of South Africa too strongly during a recent debate.

Reagan

Noting the complexity of U.S. foreign policy on South Africa. Young questioned the Reagan Administration's commitment to achieving reform in the apartheid state.

"[Reagan's] friends are the jet-setters around the world that personally are heavily involved in South Africa, and he basically views the world from the perspective of the landed gentry," Young remarked.

After the forum, Young said the Harvard should sell some of its holding in corporations that do business in South Africa, but stopped short of calling for complete divestiture.

"It's important to take a stand," he said