It's on to the Maine Show for Batmen

NCAA Regional Begins Today; Seton Hall First Up for Crimson

By Mike Knobler

Seniors Bruce Weller and Gaylord Lyman don't want to attend their Commencement. It's not an aversion to pomp and ceremony, an allergy to mortarboards or a distaste for long speeches or slow marches. Weller and Lyman just want to be in Omaha, Neb.

But in order for Weller, Lyman and the rest of the Harvard baseball team-all underclassmen-to earn a trip west to the College World Series, they must outplay Maine, Seton Hall and Rider at the Northeast Regional today through Monday at Orono, Maine.

The third-seeded Crimson placed second behind Maine in last year's double-elimination tourney, but this time things could be different. The 27-4 batmen swept easily through the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League this year, while last season's squad didn't clinch the league crown until the last game of the year.

What can this team--far younger than the 1983 edition--do that its predecessor couldn't? The biggest difference is baserunning. Last year's team stole 25 bases; this year's squad already has 69. Third baseman Bobby Kay (16 of 18) leads the way.

"I feel more comfortable with this team, because we can do more things this year, especially in the running department," Crimson Coach Alex Nahigian said. "We have more opportunities."

The Crimson also has some powerful bats. First baseman Elliott Rivera (.389, 39 RBI, seven homers) leads the team in everything except triples and runs scored. Rivera needs just one RBI to tie Harvard's single-season record, set by former Crimson star and rising Montreal Expos prospect Mike Stenhouse in 1977. Weller (.356, 34 RBI, five homers) needs just two more runs scored to tie the season mark set by Ed Durso '75. Weller already holds the career record for runs scored with 137.

Harvard will need all the hitting it can get to down today's first-round opponent, Seton Hall. The ECAC-New York, New Jersey champion boasts a couple of excellent pitchers. Senior righthander Mike Patton (8-1, 2.47 ERA) will probably get the nod to start, with junior Pat Pacillo (4-1) waiting in the wings. Pacillo fanned a phenomenal 45 batters in just 28 1/3 innings this season.

Pacillo's no slouch with the bat either, he's batting .358. Tony DeFrancesco (.388, 33 RBI) leads the Pirate hitters. With 133 stolen bases in 49 games, Seton Hall will certainly give Crimson catcher Jim DePalo something to think about.

Don't let Seton Hall's 37-12 record fool you; the Pirates went four and four on a trip through the west.

THE NOTEBOOK: Weller's 150 career hits place him eight shy of the school record. His 29 career doubles make him three short of the record held by Vin Martelli '83...Harvard has earned four trips to the College World Series, the last in 1974. The Crimson is 18-8 in regional games and has won half of its eight regional tournaments. For you fans of double elimination: the batmen have never won a regional in which they lost a game. NCAA Division I Baseball Northeast Regional At Orono, Maine Double-Elimination--Friday, May 25-Monday, May 28 Seton Hall (Seed 2, 37-12) Game 1 HARVARD (Seed 3, 27-4)  Game 4  Games 6 and (If needed) 7  Champion Maine (Seed 1, 30-17) Game 2 Rider (Seed 4, 28-17)  Game 4  Games 6 and (If needed) 7  Champion (loser game 1) Game 3 (loser game 2)  (loser game 4) Game 5  Games 6 and (If needed) 7  Champion

Schedule of Games

Friday: noon, game 1 3 p.m., game 2

Saturday: noon, game 3 3 p.m., game 4

Sunday: noon, game 5 3 p.m., game 6

Monday: noon, game 7 (If necessary)

Schedule of Games

Friday: noon, game 1 3 p.m., game 2

Saturday: noon, game 3 3 p.m., game 4

Sunday: noon, game 5 3 p.m., game 6

Monday: noon, game 7 (If necessary)