The Democratic Convention 1984

Mondale, Ferraro Pledge End To Nuclear Arms Buildup

By Michaes W. Hirschorjn and Robert M. Neer

SAN FRANCISCO-In their first public appearance together, Walter F. Mondale and Gernldine A. Ferraro pledged yesterday to rebuild American education and end the nuclear arms race.

Before 3500 supporters on San Franciso's Market Street, Mondale Said. "We know that out future requires, if we are to have any that we get those God awful nuclear capons under control."

"America is ready to face the future and we are ready to lead." Ferraro said. The crowd which waited almost one hour was restless when Mondale arrived, but applauded vigorously at Ferraro's introduction.

"Today the daughter of an immigrant stands before you, stand seeking the second highest office in the greatest country in the world It's a new challenge for America," the vice-presidential nominee said.

Both San Franciscas's gleaming new Moscone Cemet and the Jowntown area for blocks around have been transformed into a congested mass of police delegates news people and spectators by the Democratic national convention which opened yesterday.

In the cavernous convention center red white and blue bunting and American flags hang form walls and ceiling. The interior of the center is dominated by dour grant glass walled booths set up for the three major television Network News smaller booths for local television and radio stations are suspended form the building's walls.

Beneath the booth entire ballrooms and hundreds of Square-free! of floor space have been converted into press offices, souvenir stands and cafeteria style restaurants. Entrepreneurs offer "Convention '84" sweatshirts for $22, T-shirts for $13, and posters for $10.

In addition to such standard momentous, delegates can purchase a Democratic Convention honey bear for $10 and inflatable Jesse Jackson, Gary hart, and Walter Mondale dolls for $15 each.

Despite public declarations that a unified convention is the best way to serve the Democratic aims of defeating Ronald Reagan in 1984, the campaigns of Rev. Jesse L. Jackson and Sen Gary W. Hart seem reluctant to let potentially divisive demands drop.

At a meeting yesterday of the American Youth Caucus Reverend Tyrone Crider of the Jackson campaign proclaimed that party justice comes before party unity.

Crider said Jackson with the backing of his Rainbow Coalition delegates will press four demands at the convention.

* Democratic endorsement of affirmative action with quotas:

* An end to runoff primaries in Southern states.

* No first use of nuclear weapons by the United States.

* Massive cuts in defense spending.

Andrea Hart, speaking for her father's comparing repeated the argument heard carlier that Hart offers the best chance for defeat of President Ronald Reagan in November. "He's the one with the best chance to defeat Ronald Reagan. It's been shown down the line." The candidate's daughter said.

"If You're delegate, but not a delegate for us, think of Gary Hart," she said.