Innovative Company Flourishes at Ex

Student Summer Theatre

By Melissa I. Weissberg

"Sex! Violence! Rape! Two-that's two on-stage masturbation scenes! Everything you could want to see. Dollar-off coupons for our first show."

That's how members of the Harvard-Radcliffe Summer Theater troupe hawked their latest production to unsuspecting summer school students registering two weeks ago at Mem Hall.

But more than just a large quotient of raciness distinguishes this year's summer theater group, made up of Harvard undergraduates and June graduates. In addition to the group's normal two major productions at the Loeb Drama Center, the company has organized an ambitious five-week workshop festival, including drama, dance, mime, and staged readings.

"It's hairy It'll be like shopping--there'll [often] be two shows going on at the same time, at differenct places in the building," says Producer Moira Ariev '85.

Now in its fourth year, the summer theater group is branching out, making an effort to diversify the tasks of its members, as well as to involve in its production. The August workshop will tap both summer school students and area residents; the various productions will be directed by the members of the company, including some actors who have never directed before.

Independence

Another of the troupe's major goals is financial independence. In the past, student summer theater groups have received grants from the College and from the Office for the Arts. But this year, says Ariev, "we're trying to raise the money from scratch."

Well, almost. With a $2000 grant from the Loeb Foundation, and some gifts from several corporations, the company had a headstart. But this year, members say, part of the experience includes selling advertisements, printing programs, and postering--and everyone does a little of everything.

"We're not extra concerned with making money People are sort of signing the summer off just hoping to make their expenses," Ariev says.

"Our goal is just to raise enough money to pay expenses. The salaries [for the company] will depend on the box office," she adds.

Spring Awakening, the first of the two plays showing at the Loeb's Experimental Theater, has been selling out recently, a trend which cast members attribute to very good word-of-mouth among the summer school and Cambridge residents.

"Also, there's no theater in the summer [in Boston or Cambridge], so people will come to see us," says one actor.

Taking Risks

Director Paul Warner '84, whose modern version of Franz Wedekind's Spring Awakening has raised a few eyebrows, adds. "The summer theater takes risks. And there are a lot of shows in Boston that don't take risks."

The cast and crew say that summer theater is very different from productions during the year. "When you work up, during the year, to those few performances, the adrenaline's really there. It's harder to get pumped up during the summer," says Kristen Gasser '85.

Warner adds, "During the year, you're acting for someone, or something." Others say that with school-year performances only on two consecutive weekends, the audience is usually filled with family members and friends, whereas now it is a job.

Besides acting and production, in fact, most of the company members have part-time jobs in the morning, some of them working for the American Repertory Theater, the resident company at the Loeb Center. Each afternoon at 1 p.m., however, they all convene at the theater and set to work. The actors join in in technical work, sales, advertising, lighting and even costumes.

"I don't feel bad about asking the actors to help sew costumes," says Stage Manager Susan Rosen. Adding, "If you don't do it, it's not going to get done.