Markey to Replace Greenidge As Sports Information Head

By John F. Baughman

Harvard called Edward W. Markey up to the majors last week.

The former assistant director of Harvard Sports Information will take over as director of the office, replacing James Greenidge, who left in May to become director of public relations for the New England Patriots.

In his two years at Harvard, Markey has earned a reputation as a aggressive, hard worker who has progressively taken on more responsibility. He has served as acting Sports Information Director since Greenidge left.

"It's a big challenge but I'm looking forward to some excitement." Markey said yesterday. As director he will handle publicity and media relations for all of Harvard's 40 varsity athletic teams.

The job entails writing press releases, keeping statistics, scoring, handling media inquiries and running the press box at football games.

Greenidge yesterday praised Markey's ability and credited him with initiating several projects as his assistant. Last year Markey was responsible for raising interest in both the men's and women's basketball teams.

"[Markey] has worked very hard as the assistant over the past two years, and we think he will do a very good job for Harvard as the director," said athletic director John P. Reardon Jr.

Although Markey said he wasn't planning any immediate major changes in the office, he added that he has been storing up a few ideas which he hopes to implement gradually in the coming months. One important innovation Markey will oversee is that for the first time ever the office will have a full-time student intern to help out during the school year.

Markey began working in sports information as a sophomore at St. Michael's College in Winoski, Vermont. He took over on a temporary basis when the sports information director at the time fell ill; when he never returned to work Markey kept the job for the next two-and-one-half years.

While in college he also played varsity baseball for four years but he said he usually managed to keep himself out of the press releases. "St. Michael's baseball wasn't all that much to write about, but at least I always got my my stats right," he said.

After graduating from college Markey served an 11-month internship with the Eastern College Athletic Conference before coming to Harvard.

Markey, age 24, was raised in South Burlington, Vermont and now lives in Brookline.

He said he will begin a search for a new assistant soon.