Booters Still Knotted After 110 Minutes

The Harvard women's soccer team led the University of Vermont Saturday in shots on goal, 25-5, and in corner kicks, 21-2.

But after two full periods, two ten-minute overtimes and 110 minutes in all, the one star that counts was still dead even.

The support of more than 200 fans at Ohiri Field couldn't help the booters turn their shots and kicks into scores, and after almost two hours of play under beautiful skies, the scoreboard read just like it had when the game had begun--0-0.

The scoreless tie put the first blemish of the season on the Harvard record, which now stands at 2-0-1.

Vermont Coach John Carter's squad, now also 2-0-1, succeeded in its primary objective of holding the Crimson to no more than one goal. His troops were less successful, however, in mounting any challenge of their own, and let Harvard successfully dominate the game.

Vermont entered the contest ranked seventh in the nation, and Carter said his squad was "not happy, but not hurt" by the tie.

For Harvard, fighting for a national ranking, the tie was a bit more frustrating.

Crimson Coach Bob Scalise said the visitors "came here to play some destructive ball" and that he had expected the almost stifling coverage that the Vermont defense used on Crimson star forward Kelly Landry.

An All-American senior and Harvard's top scoring threat, Landry was double covered all afternoon and had few chances to break loose and shoot.

Harvard stopper Inga Larson sympathized with her teammate's troubles Saturday, explaining "Kelly works best when she is keying off the defense, working on their mistakes.'

"We didn't work the ball away from her as well as we should have," Larson added.

Take Charge

With Landry effectively blocked, it was up to the rest of the team to take command, and Harvard Co-Captain Jennifer Greeley obliged, leading a strong midfield that consistently worked the ball up front.

The equally impressive play of Vermont goalie Paula Lamothe, however, stifled any Crimson threats.

Back on the other end of the field, Harvard freshman goalie Tracee Whitley had little chance to show off her superb skills.

After the game, the freshman net-tender, who in three collegiate games has yet to allow a goal, reflected the team's subdued attitude. "It's aggravating to have so many chances" she said, but added, "we're giving 110% this whole season, and the same will be true for the next game."

Trying harder could be quite important in the Crimson's next game. Wednesday, when a challenging University of New Hampshire squad visits Ohiri.