Gridders Go in Search of Victory

Crimson in Ithaca to Do Battle With Odysseus-less, Winless Cornell Squad

By Nick Wurf, Special to The Crimson

"Odysseus, who grew up in the country, rough though it may be, of Ithaca, to know every manner of shiftiness and crafty counsels." Book Three, The Iliad

ITHACA, N.Y.--Odysseus won't be donning his armor for the 50th installment of the Harvard-Cornell football series here today.

But the Big Red (0-3 overall, 0-2 Ivy) could certainly use his cunning as it prepares for the 1:30 p.m. kickoff against the invading Cantabrigians (2-1, 1-0) at Schoellkopf Field.

Odysseus' career was long over before the first game of the off-red series back in 1890, when the Crimson prevailed, 77-0.

While Harvard has yet to live up to the standard of that opener, the gridders have enjoyed a 29-18-2 advantage through the series' first 49 contests.

Although the Crimson escaped with a 24-18 triumph last year, Harvard's last odyssey in Ithaca was not so successful.

Two years ago, on the plastic turf of Schoellkopf Field, Harvard--which was on its way to a share of the Ivy title--deadlocked a Big Red squad that was floundering to a 3-6-1 season.

Although Jim Villanueva's late field goal saved the tie for the visiting Crimson, that draw cost Harvard the outright Ancient Eight title that it hadn't claimed since 1975.

This season, Harvard has scored victories against Columbia and highly-touted UMass.

Perhaps more impressive, the Crimson dropped a close contest to Division I-AA's third-ranked squad, William & Mary, 21-14, a week ago at the Stadium.

Cornell, on the other hand, is riding a four-game losing streak and coming off a 2-7 campaign last year in which the Big Red averaged less than 10 points per game.

Commencement saw the Ithacans lose eight of their defensive starters, so the inexperience of the defensive unit is a big question mark for the hosts today.

Offensively, third-year Coach Maxie Baughan will look to quarterback Shawn Maguire (43-for-88, 366 yds., one TD, three interceptions) and running back John Tagliaferri (38 carries, 149 yds.).

Maguire epitomizes the contrasts in this Cornell squad; he is good by Cornell standards, but those standards just aren't that high.

The senior signalcaller is a three-year starter and holds or will soon hold most major Big Red career passing marks.

But his career statistics also show 25 interceptions and four touch-downs, a staggering six-to-one ratio. And he has been relieved in every game this year by his backup, junior Chris Knapp.

Like Maguire, the Crimson offense has struggled at times this year. Senior quarterback Brian White (17-for-51, 367 yds., 3 TDs, two ints.) has connected on some big plays--including a miracle left-handed shovel pass for a two-point conversion against the Tribe--but as his 33 percent completion rate indicates, he has not been terribly consistent.

Senior fullback Robert Santiago, who used his breakaway speed to gallop to the Ivy League rushing title last season, has sorely missed last year's powerful offensive line and its leader, huge tackle Roger Caron who now bowls defensive linemen over for the Indianapolis Colts.

Santiago, who struggled in the Crimson's first two games, hit stride against the Tribe Saturday, with a 98-yd. outing. The San Antonio, Tex. native scored on a 78-yd. scamper on the game's second play against the Big Red a year ago and finished up the contest with 168 yards, his second best effort ever.

Defensively, the Crimson has shined. The line, linebackers and secondary have all played exceptionally well.

Captain Brent Wilkinson will be back to play full-time at linebacker after missing much of Saturday's game with a calf injury. Although replacement Bob Joyce turned in a Wilkinson-like 12-tackle performance, the Captain will return to provide some of the inspiration that has made the defense the biggest and most pleasant surprise of the young '85 season.

The biggest obstacle the Crimson faces may be the Astroturf surface at Schoellkopf Field. The Crimson hasn't won on carpet since its 1981 trip to Ithaca.

In the interim, the gridders have amassed an unenviable 0-4-1 artificial turf mark.

Nonetheless, the Cantabrigians will-struggle to overcome the wrath of the turf gods in the second battle in this year's Ivy Wars. A victory today could prepare Harvard well in the quest for the Ancient Eight wreath.