Women's Center Gets New Home

After a series of break-ins and security problems at its old location, the Women's Center, a clearinghouse of various groups addressing women's concerns, has moved this year to a safer, more accessible location in the Radcliffe Yard.

The new office, on the fourth floor of Agassiz House was chosen after the old location at Apley Court on Dunster Street suffered break-ins and thefts. Students complained that the only entrance to the building was through an unsafe, dimly lit alley.

Steering committee member Ann Pellegrini '86 said that advertising meetings at the old location was like saying, "Women are going to be in an alleyway at 7:30 tonight; come mug us." Pelligrini said she is excited about the fresh start afforded by the new location.

Although the center is not yet operating, Pellegrini said she expects it will be open by mid-October on a drop-in basis Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. She said at least two staff members will be on duty, and that the center will have a library, informal study breaks, and other events of interest to women.

However, the site will not necessarily be permanent. Radcliffe Dean Phillipa Bovet said, "We have a commitment to support the Women's Center as long as we can, but we have not given them any kind of contract [for the location]."

The center has had a history of moving from location to location. Originally situated in Radcliffe Yard, the center moved to Lehman Hall in 1978 and to Apley Court in 1982. The new Aggasiz House space was made available when the Eating Problems Outreach program moved during the summer