Lampoon Finds Joke in Itself

Publishes Gargoyle Humor Magazine

The Harvard Lampoon, apparently tired of mocking others, has taken to satirizing itself.

The humor magazine--although reluctant to take credit for the publication--has produced a new literary creation, the Harvard Gargoyle.

The eight-page, xeroxed booklet made its appearance on campus just a few days after the Lampoon reportedly spray painted the words "GARGOYLE RULES!!" on its Castle.

Copies of the Gargoyle were distributed to the dining halls Monday night. The magazine, under editors "Hugh Morris." "Eve N. Funyer." and "Chuck L. Loudly," is a conglomerate of Union food jokes, typos, and crudely drawn cartoons.

A related series of bizarre events last week preceeded the debut of the booklet. First signs of the Gargoyle began to appear when "comp" posters mocking the Lampoon were posted on campus kiosks. The posters invited all students to attend an introductory meeting of the magazine at 21 South St.--the address of the Harvard Advocate.

Advocate officials said they had no knowledge of the Gargoyle.

A few days later, the grafitti was spray painted on the Castle walls. Later last week, a letter signed by "a founder of the Gargoyle" was sent to the Crimson and the Lampoon. The letter stated that the editor did not approve of the grafitti and would therefore resign from the editorship of the magazine.

Much speculation remains about the origins of this humorist terrorist organization.

Although various source have confirmed the Lampoon's involvement in the booklet, members of the Lampoon staff continue to deny any connection with their upstart "rival." However, they do concede that disgruntled Lampoon compers may be at fault.

Sour Pusses

"There are a bunch of sour pusses in the Castle," said Lampoon president Jessica Marshall, '86. "They may have run off and started their own rag."

The Lampoon is currently in the midst of its grueling two-month comp.

One Lampoon editor commented that perhaps the scheme was dreamed up by The Crimson in order to create stories for its compers.

In its initial comp information, the Lampoon listed some humor "no-nos." Jokes about politics, Union food, Derek Bok, roommates, and violent death are banned. All of these appear in some form in the Gargoyle.