Harvard Graduate Murdered in D.C.

By Christopher J. Georges

A 1984 Harvard graduate was stabbed to death early Sunday morning in her Washington, D.C., apartment.

Florence Eyssalenne, who was working for a Washington law firm, was stabbed in the throat in her apartment, located six blocks from the Capitol. Details of the murder remain sketchy, and Washington police yesterday refused to release any information on the case.

Sources confirmed, however, that the assailant is still at large.

Eyssalenne was described by friends as a quiet, friendly woman who planned to continue her studies in French literature.

The former Cabot House resident concentrated in French literature while at Harvard, and in Washington was taking courses in German at Georgetown University. She was also tutoring students in foreign languages.

Although she had originally planned to study law, Eyssalene in recent months decided to change her plans in favor of continuing her study of French literature, one of her friends said last night. She recently completed the Graduate Record Exams and was hoping to enroll in Princeton's graduate program in French literature.

Eyssalenne, originally from Brooklyn, N.Y., moved to Washington after graduation to work as a paralegal and research assistant for a northwest Washington law firm.

While at Harvard, she served as a dorm crew supervisor and although she was "not known extensively on campus," friends of hers said last night that she became very close within a smaller circle of friends.

Eyssalene is the second member of the Class of '84 to be murdered in less than a year. Last December, Caroline R. Isenberg, an acting student who was a prominent actress while at Harvard, was stabbed to death in her New York apartment. Her assailant was convicted this summer and sentenced to life in prison.

Victoria G.T. Bassetti contributed to the reporting of this article.