Trivial Pursuits

Class Cuts

By Brooke A. Masters

How many rows of seats are there in the Michigan Stadium? What professional basketball team drafted Phil Hubbard?

These and other burning questions are dominating student conversations these days at the Ann Arbor campus of the University of Michigan.

Since the release of the Michigan Mania Sports Quiz, a trivia game designed to test even the most rabid Wolverine fan, Michigan students have been racking their brains nonstop to discover whether Clark Burroughs (Ohio State), Dan Roberts (Michigan) or Rene Bouchard (Indiana) was the medalist in the 1985 Big Ten golf meet.

Bruce Madej, Michigan Sports Information director, decided to design the game last summer when the sports department of rival Michigan State University (MSU) threatened to do it for him. "Mike Pearson from MSU basically said that the MSU game had been really successful and that we shouldn't miss out," Madej said.

Though the game took five months to research, Madej says he enjoyed doing it. "It helped me learn a little more about Michigan sports," he said. Perhaps he can teach a course on the history of Maize and Blue sports for an encore.

The 2000 question game premiered last August and at a retail price of $17.95 per copy, the game has sold over 1000 copies to date. "We're already in the black," said Madej.

A percentage of the profits go to the University sports department. Madej said that U. Michigan's share so far totals $1500.

The game has six categories: Michigan Football 1879-1968; Michigan Football, the Schembechler Era; Michigan Basketball; Michigan Baseball and Hockey; Other Sports and Wolverine Lore;, and the Big Ten Conference. Although football dominates the bulk of the questions, stumpers include:

* Charles Dvorak held the Michigan outdoor pole vault record in 1900. What was the height of his school standard?

* In 1976-7 Michigan won an NCAA quarterfinal hockey game for the first time. Which school did Michigan beat?

The game is quickly becoming de rigueur for Wolverine fans. Wayne Schreck, an Ann Arbor retailer, said "We sell a couple every day and five to ten on football weekends."

Although out of state stores don't stock the trivia game, Wolverine fans everywhere will soon get their chance to buy it. Madej said he hopes to reach Michigan alums nationwide in time for the Christmas rush by advertising in the alumni magazine.

Oh, and by the way, there are 90 rows in Michigan stadium and the Detroit Pistons drafted Phil Hubbard. Sorry, Wolverines fans, but Ohio's Clark Buroughs won the golf tournament. The 1900 high jump record was 11 feet and Michigan hockey beat Bowling Green in 1976-7 to get to the NCAA semifinals.