Study Counsel Names Head

Davis Takes Helm as Acting Director

The College has appointed an acting director to the Bureau of Study Counsel until a search committee fills a vacancy left by Kiyo Marimoto last spring.

Mack I. Davis, assistant dean of the College for advising and counseling services, was appointed this July to run the Bureau until the committee, headed by Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57, locates a permanent director, officials said this week.

Jewett said the committee has received applications and expects to have a decision this fall. The final selection will be based on the applicants' expertise in counseling, ability to manage an office, and professional credentials, Jewett said.

The Bureau of Study Counsel provides counseling and academic services for students and faculty. Services include the Harvard Course in Reading Strategies, designed to train students to read quickly and to efficiently process information. The Bureau also offers tutoring in all subjects.

Davis, who worked as assistant director of the Bureau before his appointment, said that, although he has only served as director a short time, he has already made some changes at the Bureau. He said he has increased the amount of time the staff spends in community outreach, advertising the Bureau as a multipurpose office.

He said he has also increased contact with other support groups on campus, such as Room 13 and the Writing Center, in order to allow students to have as many opportunities as possible to discuss their intellectual and social development.

As acting director of the Bureau, Davis, who received a Ph.D. in psychology from the Graduate School of Education in 1975, oversees the administration and clinical services of the office.

In addition, he coordinates the services of the Bureau with other offices and organizations of the University and serves on the search committee for a permanent director.