"Faith" Is Topic Of New Magazine

Short Takes

What is faith all about?

That's the topic of a new magazine called "Faith" being organized by Mather House senior Charles T. Lelon. The magazine will focus not on any particular religion or take political stands, but look at all religions from the point of view of their followers.

"The best way to find out about a religion is to talk to an adherent of that tradition," Lelon said. "All these people have had faith. It's the way they've expressed it that tends to be different and diverse."

The magazine also will include articles written from a secular point of view because, Lelon said, many people organize their lives according to humanist or scientific beliefs instead of religious ones.

Lelon said that the magazine will be run entirely by students and will have two faculty advisers, The Rev. Peter J. Gomes, Plummer Professor of Christian Morals and Diana Eck, associate professor of Hindu religion.

"Faith" has already received a $3000 grant from the Lucius W. Littauer Foundation of New York. Lelon said he will not ask for money from Harvard because neither the Undergraduate Council nor other Harvard sources are likely to give the large amount of money needed for the publication, which Lelon hopes will run 32 pages and come out once a semester.