GSD and K-School Establish Joint Chair

Short Takes

The Graduate School of Design (GSD) and the John F. Kennedy School of Government have received a $1.5 million gift from an anonymous donor to establish a second joint chair in urban design and planning.

The chair may not be filled for as long as two years, said Nada Samuels, director of public information at the Kennedy School.

A search committee headed by Jose Gomez-Ibanex, professor of urban planning and public policy, was created this month to choose the scholar who will hold the post, Samuels said.

Although no decisions have been made on the specialty of the chair, possibilities include history of urban development, housing and the economics of urban development, according to said Ann LeRoyer, GSD public relations director.

Gomez-Ibanex could not be reached for comment.

In announcing the gift, GSD Dean Gerald McCue said the chair "will further our efforts in advancing understanding of the issues and problems involved in achieving urban environments that reflect the aspirations and capabilities of the contemporary society."

The creation of the new chair comes two years after President Derek C. Bok proposed the GSD and K-School establish three joint chairs to study urban policy and planning issues.

University funds were used to establish the first chair, which has an endowment of $1 million. Gomez-Ibanex, who specializes in transportation policy and planning, holds that post.