Grapplers Post Split

Finish 2-2 in Weekend Action

By C.j. Georges

First the good news: the wrestling team won two matches Saturday.

And the bad news: the grapplers lost two matches Saturday.

The squad wound up 2-2 in its five-team match-up at the IAB to move into Christmas Break with a 2-3 record.

Despite a pair of strong victories over New York University (47-3) and the University of New Hampshire (24-15), Co-Captain Steve Farrell captured the team's frustration: "There wasn't a team here we couldn't beat. It's been a disappointing day."

Disappointing because the grapplers lost to both Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) and Hofstra by scores of 25-13 and 28-21.

"We all wrestled about nine or 10 matches this week," Farrell added.

The strain of five dual meets, however, did not seem to affect Farrell's personal performance, as he was the only Harvard wrestler to sweep all four of his matches--and record a pin and a 14-6 decision in the process.

In addition, both John Zilcosky and Kevin McGinty, splitting the duties at 177 lbs., chipped in with two victories apiece for a combined 4-0 showing. Zilcosky also turned a pin with 18 seconds gone in the first period of his match against NYU.

Heavyweight Kevin Wattles (2-1), 126-lb. Scot, Beck (2-2) and 134-lb. John Moon (1-1) also turned in strong performances.

Coach John Lee used a total of 18 wrestlers on the day as both 126-lbJeff Clark and Co-Captain Jerry Greenberg were ailing and did not wrestle in all the matches.

Freshman Kelly Flynn (1-1) registered an impressive pin at 190 lbs, with one second to go in the second period against UNH, to ice the match for the Crimson.

Heavyweight Paul Wiesen (1-0) racked up a smothering pin against his NYU opponent, capping an impressive team victory.

142-lb. Steve Beati, 190-lb. Dave Bunning and 134-lb. Jeff Pellatier all went 1-1 on the day.

THE NOTEBOOK: Co-Captain Steve Farrell has looked extremely strong this season and leads the team with a 9-2 record...Sophomore Scott Beck, at 6-5, is also wrestling very well...The team will not wrestle again until January 11...The Crimson opens the Ivy League schedule at the IAB on February 1 against Cornell.