Men Thinclads Beat Green, Brown; Women Second To Dartmouth

By Becky Hartman

He dropped the baton, grabbed his left leg, and tumbled off the track.

And with that dramatic fall, Harvard men's track Co-Captain Steve Ezen-Okoye bid farewell to the Albert H. Gordon track.

Ezeji-Okoye pulled a thigh muscle during the second leg of the mile relay in Saturday's tri-meet against Dartmouth and Brown, ending his career on the Harvard track in disappointing fashion His loss didn't matter on Saturday, though, as the Crimson men took the meet handily with 50 points, the Big Green could muster only 50, and Brown finished last with 40.

Although he won't be examined until this afternoon. Ezen-Okoye was walking without much pain yesterday and expects to be back in action well before the Heptagonal Championships in two weeks.

While Ezen Okoye's pulled thigh was among the first serious injuries for the male thinelads, the women have yet to compete at full strength. It showed on Saturday, as they limped to a second place finish behind Dartmouth.

The Big Green took the honors with 59 1 2 points, followed by Harvard with 47 and the Bruins with 27 1 2.

The men's victory was particularly satisfying because it featured senior Cliff Sheehan's win over Dartmouth's Jim Sapienza, the Heptagonal 1500 champion and longtime Crimson nemesis.

When the gun cracked signaling the last lap of the 1500, the race had become a three man battle between Sheehan, Sapienza, and Crimson Co-Captain John Perkins.

After going around the first turn, Sheehan blasted by his teammate and the Big Green distance standout. Sapienza then surged by Perkins as they came down the stretch to take second.

The Harvard jumping corps had an exceptional afternoon, as senior Mark Henry -- who had already won the 55-meter dash -- extended his winning streak in the long and triple jumps. He also finished fourth behind teammates Doug Boyd, Robert Gustafson, and Dartmouth's Tony Kingsley in the high jump.

The Crimson women. still suffering from the absences of Jenny Stricker and Kristin Perini, looked good in almost all of the short and middle distance races as well as in the field events.

Co-Captain Marquette Patterson won the long jump and later blew away the 55-meter hurdles in 8.43, which equalled the Harvard record she set last year. Senior Janet Judge made an impressive debut in the same event with a fourth place finish.

Sophomore Lorie Boulris won the shot put with a heave of 39-ft., 1 1 2-in., while teammate Kathy Durance finished third.

The Harvard trio of sprinters--Dele Fayemi, Carol Kirton, and Moore--took second, third, and fourth places in both the 55-meter and 200-meter dashes.

The Crimson thinclads take their show on the road as they'll trek to Yale this weekend to compete against the Elis and the Tigers in the annual Big Three meet. The following week the runners head north, where they'll take on the rest of the Ivy League in the season finale, the Heptagonal Championships.