MacDonald Gives Harvard a Break-Every Day

By Nick Wurf

Jame MacDonald's game winning goal at 6:10 of the third period Monday night against Boston College at the Garden was important for a number of reasons.

First and Foremost, the goal broke a 55 tie and stopped a run of five straight B.C, goals.

Second, it gave the Crimson (15.32 overall 12.21ECAC) its first wining Beanpot plan in eight tries (and the team's senior their first ever Beanpot victory).

Third, it won Harvard coach Bill clear his 200th game.

Finally, it gave McDonald his 16th goal of the year, which tied junior Scott Fusco Harvard record for goals by a freshman.

Ironically Fusco made the initial play to set up his left wing's goal and he will more likely than not, also set up. Mac Donald's record breaking first goal later this season.

***

McDonald's older brother, Lowell, will be in town Friday night when his Colgate team (6.9 FCAC) Varsity Bright Center at 7:30 p.m.

The Crimson squeaked by the Red Raiders, 6.5 early in the season on a Peter Follows goal with just 51 seconds to play that forced an overtime, and a Fusco score with just 51 second to go in the extra period.

Colgate, however, has dropped its last five ECAC games

Lane, incidentally, won the battle of the McDonalds in the early season showdown, outscoring his brother 2:1.

Fusco's overtime tally salvaged a poor effort by the icemen, who were visibly tired after a grueling 5.5 overtime marathon with Cornell at Lynah Rink the night before.

Saturday, the crimson (7-1-1 Ivy) Bosts Cornell (11-3-1 ECAC, 5-0-1 lvy) for the lvy championship,

The red hot Big red has now won eight in a row and quietly moved and third place in the ECAC standings victory Saturday would put it in with Harvard for second place in the league standings.

Harvard and Cornell have tied for the crown both of the last two years and a crimson victory coupled with Big Red wins over Dartmouth Brown and Yale would once against throw the schools into a deadlock.

But if Yale if (17-7-1 overall,5-2-1 Ivy can knock off the first and Lynah and Harvard beats Cornell then the crimson would claim sole possession of the league title for the first time in three years.

Regardless, if the Crimson beats Cornell then the icemen will own the lvy bragging tights for the next year.

The Harvard Band's on ice between period show has been cancelled, because Cornell Coach out Reverott threatened to have the Crimson assessed a penalty if either of the intermissions stretched a second longer than the league regulation 12 minutes.

Because cleaning the ice takes 10 minutes, the band will probably perform instead from the stands.

***

The Crimson's latest casualty is Junior Greg Chalmers, who suffered a separated shoulder in practice last Wednesday.

Chalmers missed the BC game and will be out for the weekend.

The center, who has two goals in his four games back since returning to school this semester, will probably be able to play the following weekend when Harvard travels to vermoni and league leading RPI.

Chalmers is the ninth Crimson skater to suffer a shoulder injury this season.

Randy Taylor (two games). Andy Janfaza (five games), Don sweency (three games) and Scott Farden (one game) have already missed time this year because of shoulder injuries. In addition Tim Barakett, MacDonald, Steve Armstrong and Rob Ohno have hampered by similar problems.

Darden missed the BC game but will probably is plan this weekend Lantarza, who was out very early in the year for a shoulder has injured his other shoulder and is questionable for the weekend.

If Jantaza doesn't play the Crimson will sun freshman Nick Carone, who has two points in his three games.

All Crimson skaters will be wearing extra shoulder rudding similar to what football players wear the rest of the year.

***

The Crimson has dropped from sixth to eighth in the latest national poll, which does not take into account Harvard's victors over B.C. in the Beanpot.

The Eagles are ranked firth and B.U which beat Harvard in the first round, has leapfrogged over the Crimson into seventh Michigan State, with an unreal 30-3 record, remains in first place ahead of Minnesota Duluth and RPI, which are tied for second.

The Engineers are rolling with a 15.1 ECAC mark RPI has already clinched home ice in the quarterfinals of the league play off.

Furthermore, last year's ECAC champion, who face Princeton Friday might in New Jersey, have now won 20 straight.

The Engineers would have to sweep tier five remaining regular season league games, and would have to win four ECAC playoff games to tie the league's consecutive victory streak set by the 1969-70 Cornell team that went 29-0.

***

Today's trivia: Name the goalic who earned the credit for each of those 29 wins on that undefeated Big Red squad of 1969 70.

Answer keep reading.

***

RPI Harvard, Cornell clarkson and Yale have all clenched a spot in the playoff which open march 6 at campus sites.

Harvard magic number to finish in the top four and gain home and advantage in the playoffs is ` three. Any combination of Harvard wins and Yale loses totaling three gives the Crimson Home ice in the quarter finals.

RPI Harvard, Cornell, Clarkson Lawrence and Colgate still have a chance at home ice. And every team, even Vermont can still make the playoffs by finishing in the top eight.

The semi-finals, finals and third place game will be held March 15 and 16 at the Boston Garden. Tickets are priced at eight and 10 dollars and are available through the Garden box office.

***

Greg Meredith, a former All American at Notre Dame, has been helping Kevin Hampe coach the Crimson J.V.squad.

Meredith Played two full years in the NHI with the Calgary Flames.

Meredith compared Princeton's defensive strategy against Harvard last Friday night with the way the Flames used to defend Dennis Savard's line.

Meredith is now a student at the Business school, where he is reportedly the terror of the intramural hockey league.

***

From the Fusoco File, the junior has now tied his own best season with 22 goals and 33 assists for 55 points.

Fuesco, therefore, is tied with himself on the Harvard single season scoring list in the seventh spot. Eight more points will push him into fifth place where he will trail the three Crimson skaters in record 70 or more points in a season Bell Cleary his Cavanaugh and Bob clears (twice).

Bell clears record of point a season appears just out of reach but Fursco could climb as high second.

In the career spring columns the Olympian is now in fifth place with 186 points, trailing only Robert McNamara(151), George Huger (161), Cavanaugh (187, and Bob clears (195).

Fusco stays stays for his senior year he will most certainly become the first Crimson player ever he score more than 200 points.

Fusco will make his decision whether to turn professional after the season ends, when he have a chance to weigh the offer at the Harvard whales.

More immediately, Fusco has more scored a point in 19 straight games five short of the Crimson record of 24 set by Bob Clearly in 1947-58.

***

Harvard goalic grand Blan is leading the lvy league an goals against average and in scored in the FOAC in the same category,

Blan also has 14 penalty minutes in the 19 games he's played and 36 career minutes in the bos.

The 36 penalty minutes are an ECAC career record for goals according to ECAC Public Relations Director for Bertagna '73' Bertagna a former Crimson goaler, declared the mark an ECAC record Friday night in the Harvard press bos. Stating"this year if I say it's a record it is."

Blatt is currently sixth on the team in penalty minutes, and would be leading the squad if he had been assessed a 10 minute penalty against Princeton after a fracas with Tiger Allan Gray.

Opposing coaches have started to send their forward aggressively into the crease to tempt the ECAC's Billy Smith into drawing a slashing penalty.

***

Looking ahead, the Crimson apparently having a fine recruiting year.

Once up defenseman who would be a first of second personal draft chance if he didn't open for college is reportedly and another such stardom chances down to Harvard and Michigan State.

Another fine player who might be taken a few rounds lawyer in the pro drafts as forward has apparently also given Harvard the nods

Remember if Fusco doesn't turn professional and determine Butch Cutone and center. Allen Bourbon return as scheduled the Crimson losesS only one forward and defacement year to graduation.

***

THE NOTEBOOK'S NOTEBOOK:

Fisco and Mark Benning were both named to the Ivy Hamer Roll last week, Benning also carmed ECAC Honor Roll mentions. Privia Bryan Cropper won all 29 of Cornell's games in 1969-70 Cropper had to fill the shoes of the legendary Dryden that season, who graduated the year before. Harvard is not first int he Ivies on the power play, thanks to an 0-14 weekend at yale and Brown Cornell (333) leads the league in converting man up situations. Harvard (327) is second Five Harvard players are in the top 10 in Ivy League scoring. Fusco is second in ECAC scoring with 38 points, Six behind RPI's Adam Oates, who has 44 in one more game... Yale has I wins one less than the school's record of 18 set in 1923-24... I am McDonald was just recently named Milwaukee Athlete of the year.

The Hockey Notebook Appears Every Single Thursday in the Harvard Crimson.