Track

By Becky Hartman

Today's Greater Boston Championships could be historic for the Harvard men's indoor track team. For the first time in almost a decade, the Crimson could walk away from the competition as the undisputed champion.

After the impressive showing in last night's trials the Crimson is one of the favorites in this afternoon's meet, which starts at 1 p.m. at the Indoor Track and Tennis Center. Giving Harvard a run for the money will be perennial rivals Northeastern and Boston University, who between them have won ine of the last 10 GBC's..

For the women, because of injuries to distance standouts Jenny Stocker and Kristen Perini, the chance of winning a team championship is much more remote. However, there should be a number of outstanding individual performances. Already in last night's 5000, senior Kate Wiley took the runner-up spot.

Both of the finals yesterday ended in dramatic Crimson victories. In the long jump, senior Mark Henry won the event with his final leap of the evening, a 24-ft., 3 1/4-in, performance.

Meanwhile, junior Paul Gompers and Huskie David Westover battled it out in a tough 5000-meter race. Though he took the lead at the crack of the gun, with a mile left in the race, Gompers found himself in second place. He responded with a burst of speed that blew Westover away and gave him a lead he never relinquished. When he finished in 14:11, he also had a new school record.

Saints Sale

BATON ROUGE, La.--Gov. Edwin Edwards announced yesterday that a tentative agreement had been reached for selling the New Orleans Saints of the National Football League and keeping the team in the Superdome for 30 years.

Edwards told a news continence that the agreement mulched state money, but he refused to given any details he refused top give any details except to say it would take a special assassin of the Legislature. Which could be called within 15 days.

Team owner John Mecom Jr. of Houston and the wealthy. Pritzker family of Chicago have been trying to make a multi-million deal for weeks.

"I can say the Meeom interests have reduced significance the original terms in order to accommodate keeping the Saints in New Orleans," Edwards said.