Name That Column

Silly Putty

By Jonathan Putnam

First off: I know, I know, it's a really dumb column name. But don't blame me, my roommate thought of it.

If you have any better suggestions, send them to me at The Crimson. Maybe we'll have a contest, and the person with the best suggestion will win a season's pass to the Harvard women's basketball games.

Maybe not.

Anyway, on to the women's basketball team. After watching the cagers (currently 8-13 overall) all season, I can't help thinking that they'll contend for the Ivy League title for the next three years.

Only Co-Captain Wendy Joseph is graduating--the rest of the team will be back next year. And only two players are currently juniors.

Even a few minutes' observation hints at the potential of this team.

Watch freshman point guard Barb Keffer dribble down court, pass off to an open shooter, or drive smoothly through the opposition, and you have to think "and she's only a fresh man."

Watch freshman power forward Beth Chandler operate inside, out-muscle an opponent for an offensive rebound, stick an eight-footer, drive to the hoop from the foul line.

Watch freshman shooting forward Sharon Hayes popping from 18 feet. When she's hot, the ball swishes through time after time. She'll can the bomb three or four straight times. By the last trip down, two defender, are in her face. But she still hits.

These three are not alone. Co-Captain Anna Collins has been the most consistent cager, is second on the team in scoring, and leads in rebounding. She is the calming influence on the team, and she will be back.

The list is almost endless: Trisha Brown shoots well over 50 percent from the outside. Nancy Cibotti looked great inside against Northeastern last Monday. Hanya Bluestone out hustles everyone in the gym. And on, and on.

Of course, a new freshman class will enter in September. If it's anything like this year's, the league championship is within reach. One prep star considering Harvard is Sara Duncan, sister of men's hoop star Arne.

So with all this excitement (several veteran basketball watchers were heard to utter during the second half of the Cornell game "this is more exciting than the men's game!"), why aren't the stands packed for these contest of athletic skill and high drama?

Perhaps you didn't know when the games were. Well, the two remaining home games are February 26 against Brown and March 9 against Yale-both at 7:30 p.m.

You didn't know where? That's a pretty lame excuse, but they're at Briggs Athletic Center--the same place the men play.

Still not convinced? Well, here are some reasons why you should be at the next game.

A basketball game just like any other. I know--my mother, too, played when there were six players per team; three for offense, three for defense and no one venturing across midcourt.

But it's not like that anymore. Five players, running up and down the court. Sure, no one can jam, but you do see behind-the-back passes, double-pump dipsy do shots and dead-eyed 20 footers.

As easy as can be. All you have to do is show up at Briggs and walk in. No charge. No hassle with with your coupon book, no waiting in lines at the Harvard Hall basement. And unless more people than I expect take me up on this offer, you'll have your pick of dozens of choice seats.

Besides, the walk across the river will provide some enjoyable exercise.

A friendly atmosphere. Everyone on the team is real nice. They all stand around after the game and talk to their friends. You can congratulate Coach Kathy Delaney Smith on a nice game (for Harvard almost never loses at home).

You might be able to pat Joe Carrabino on the back as he walks by, but you can talk to Anna Collins.

Some good hoop action as a study break. Come see Sharon Hayes-knock in her rainbows. Come see Barb Keller dribble behind her back as she pulls up for a jumper at the top of the key.

Come so that you can tell your grandchildren. "Yes, I saw the great Harvard women's basketball team of the mid-'80s."

Okay, maybe that won't impress your grandchildren. But you never know. And you won't even have the opportunity to say that unless you come to the games.