Q-World Elevator Plunges Four Stories

Short Takes

Twenty-one party-goers were stranded for about half an hour late last night but none injured after a Quincy House elevator dropped four stories.

The elevator, with a recommended capacity of 10 rose three floors before stopping and slowly descending past and the basement level.

"It would have been funny if I hadn't had to go to the bathroom," said I Lisa Berman '88.

The elevator stopped about three feet below the basement level with its doors locked, according to Slated M. O'Brien '88. She said that a number of people suceeded in manually prying the doors open about half an inch.

Quincy House Guard Linda C. Bolden said that the passengers squeezed aboard despite her warning that they would not all fit. Passengers denied that they denied that they received the warning.

Berman said that someone pressed the alarm to trigger a buzzer on the first floor, which was heard by Scott E. Dlugos '86.

"I know that elevators don't buzz unless someone is inside." Dlugos said, adding that be yelled down the shaft and then went down to the basement to try to open the door while a friend called the resene squad.

Harvard University Police arrived at about 11:40 p.m., Bolden said. Berman said that the police explained how to manually open the door from inside and the passengers climbed up onto the landing.

A Pavne elevator repairman tested the elevator within an hour of the incident and declared it safe.

Most students remained calm during the 15 to 20 minute wait, and a who rode the elevator shortly after the incident said he felt a bit anyone but safe. "Lightning never strikes twice said John G. Christ '88