Renaissance Center Gets New Director

Short Takes

Villa I'Tatti. Harvard's Center for Italian Renaissance studies in Florence, will soon acquire a new director.

Louise G. Clubb, Professor of Italian and Comparative Literature at the University of California at Berkeley, was appointed to the post last week by President Bok. She will replace Professor of Fine Arts Craig Hugh Smyth, who is retiring.

Clubb, a specialist on 14th century Italian drama, will be responsible for the day-to-day administration of I Tatti, a haven for postdoctoral scholars on the Italian Renissance.

Each year, members of the I Advisory Committee, from Harvard and Committee, choose a dozen of more Junior Follows to work at the villa. They do research with a smaller group of Senior and Fellows affiliated Italian scholars, and have offices and have at the offices at the villa and access to the libraries and art collection there.

"I Tatti offers a very unique environment" for advanced scholarship on the Italian Renaissance. Clubs said. "It's a total environment, like a river delta or a rain forest." Asked how she felt about the appointment. Clubb replied, "as you can see, it does make me wax political. I'm very happy about it."

Clubb will retain her post at Berkeley during her five-year term as director.