Duncan Walks, Crimson Falls; Lafayette Tops Cagers, 61-57

DURHAM, N.C.--The Harvard men's basketball team's eight-game winning streak on the road came to an end. Saturday afternoon in Easton, Penn., where Lafayet knocked off the Crimson, 61-57.

The loss, before more than 4000 fans at Lafayette's Kirby Field House, dropped the Crimson's record to 11-2 and left the squad 1-1 through the first two games of its current three-game, five-day road trip.

Harvard meets Duke here tonight in its final non-conference game of the year.

Meanwhile, in Saturday's game. Harvard failed to force an overtime, when junior Arne Duncan travelled with just three seconds to go. With his squad trailing 59-57 and time running out, Duncan drove to the basket, only to crash to the floor with two Leopards.

"The refer made a call," Crimson Coach Frank McLaughlin said. "I don't necessarily agree with it, but what can you do?"

Lafayette sank two free throws with one second to go to provide the 61-57 final.

Ironically, it was Duncan who fell to the floor as time expired three weeks ago in Harvard's fist loss of the year, a 62-60 defeat at the hands of Dartmouth.

Lafayette, which managed several crucial offensive rebounds, hit an amazing 70 percent from the floor in the first half, en route to a 31-27 halftime lead.

Ron Reynolds led all Leopards with 22 points, but Harvard senior Co-Captain Joe Carrabino led all scorery with a season-high 27 points and 10 rebounds.

That wasn't enough though, and neither was Harvard's 100 percent accuracy from the foul line, because the Crimson took only 10 foul shots. THE NOTEBOOK: Bub Ferry recorded 14 points and Duncan finished with 11.