Hot Bulldogs Destroy Women Cagers, 87-60

Loss Extends Crimson Road Losing Streak

By Jonathan Putnam

When a team is in the middle of a two year, 15 game losing streak on the road, it needs all the luck it can get.

But for the Harvard women's basketball team, winless on the road since December 1983, last night held no luck whatsoever.

The Crimson (7-10 overall, 1-4 Ivies) travelled to New Haven to take in the cellar dwelling Elis and had the misfortune of facing Yale's best performance in almost five years.

The result, an 87-60. The victory dropped Harvard into last place in the Ivy league for the first time all year.

The story of this game is reflected in the team shooting percentages. Yale shot a stunning 58.3 percent from the field while Harvard merely equalled its season average by hitting 41.6 percent its field goal attempts.

Even the free throw crazed Harvard men's team would have been hard pressed to overcome such a shooting discrepancy.

Flying High

Yale (now 9-9, 2-4) came out of the gate very strong grabbing a 10 point lead in the opening five minutes on the wings of an 80 percent shooting performance from the floor.

Harvard never saw a single digit lets it again.

The hosts held a 43-27 lead at half time (on 53 percent floor shooting), and used torrid second half shooting to coast to their wide margin of victory.

Yale's junior sensation Sue Johnson, who last week scored her 1,000th career point, was outstanding. She scored 24 points (on nine for 12 shooting), grabbed even rebounds, and handed out five assists.

Sophomore center Karen Yarasavage added 20 points for the Elis.

Barh Keffer was one of the few bright spots for the Crimson. The freshman point guard led the team in scoring with 11 points and rebounding with five, in addition to dishing out two assists.

Fellow frosh Beth Chandler and junior Co-Captain Anna Collins each added 10 for the Cantabs.

Facing Brown

Harvard faces the prospect of loss number 17 tonight unless it can regroup and play a superb game against league-leading Brown in Providence, R.I.

The defending champion Bruins (9-8 overall, 3-0 Ivies) have won their Ivy games by an average of 20 points and feature All-Ivy forwards Donna Jaffe and Michelle Smith, the two previous Ivy players of the year.