Harvard Unconcerned by Measles Epidemic

While officials at Boston University are taking measures to prevent the spread of the recent measles epidemic that hit that campus, members of the Harvard community expressed little concern yesterday about contracting the disease.

Only 20 Harvard students have stopped by UHS to check their immunization history, despite warnings this week that the measles could spread to Harvard, Sholem Postel, director of medical services at UHS, said yesterday.

At B.U., officials will require students to show proof within one day after returning from spring vocation--which begins today--that they have had the disease or have been immunized. Failure to do so will result in disciplinary action.

The trouble began at B.U. about three weeks ago when two students contracted the measles. Since then, 53 more students have come down with the disease. Though no new cases have been reported in the last 24 hours, B.U. officials are continuing to take all precautions to prevent the spread of measles to the neighboring community and universities.

Not Worried

Reaction yesterday on campus to the measles epidemic ranged from disintrest to professions of complete ignorance.

"I'm not worried," said Charles Callahan, a book checker at Lamont Library, who added, "I had my shots 65 years ago."

"The measles wouldn't dare come to Harvard," said Joseph J. Zorc '88.

When told that B.U. goes on spring break today, Takao Kurihara '88 said, "good--let them infect Florida."

Postel, however, warned that students are at risk and should not take lightly the threat of measles.

"It would be foolhardy not to be concerned with an institution two miles down the read with 50 cases of measles despite the very, very good efforts of B.U.," Postel said. He added that even though most Harvard students are not susceptible to the disease, he would continue to urge immunization checks.

Because of the possibility of contagion, all public events at the B.U have been cancelled, B.U. spokesman John Keller said. A hockey game yesterday against the University of Lowell was played before fewer than 30 people, mostly coaches and reporters.

Spectators are also banned from a women's basketball championship game at Northeastern this weekend, while a men's basketball game will be played tonight in front of members of the media, only. However, all classes, intramural events and group meetings will still be held, Keller said.

Harvard, which hosts the Women's Eastern Swimming Championships, will not allow B.U. to compete in the event for fear that the measles might be spread to other schools, according to George Carpenter, B.U.'s sports information director.

3,000 Innoculations

Collaborating with the Boston Department of Health and Hospitals, B.U. health officials have set up three immunization clinics. Over 3,000 students have been innoculated, and the diseased students have been isolated.

"We can't be quarantined, We're in a urban setting," said Roxanne Hurley, Associate Director of Public Relations at B.U.

"We urge the students not to ride public transportation," Keller said, "but there is no way to police that."