Weekend Attracts Junior Parents

Dudley Forgotten

Nearly 500 parents will dine in the, attend lectures, and chat with Masters, as the largest crowd of oldsters ever, to attend the annual Junior Parents Weekend descends on Harvard today.

Sponsored by the Parents Association, the weekend meludes lectures, receptions and tours designed by a committee of juniors to give parents a taste of campus life

Beginning this afternoon with a lecture by Baker Professor of Economics Martin S. Feidstein '61, the activities will include receptions with the Masters at the House and Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III, and a discussion of senior year and early career experience with the Office of Career Services and Off-Campus Learning.

Associate Professor of Government Michael J. Sandel will also give a consolidated lecture from his popular course. Moral Reasoning 22, "Justice" "I'd like to give them a flavor of the broad range and general sorts of issues that arise in the course," Sandel said.

"For many parents it's their only opportunity to come up and see their children in this environment and context," said President of the Parents Association Thomas E. Crooks '49. "This is really the juniors' show they set the tone."

A committee made up of juniors from each House planned the weekend's activities with the Association, inviting faculty members, deans and administrators. to speak on various aspects of the college.

Among the new items on the agenda this year are a student discussion following a film about Harvard and a slide show from the Woman's Athletic Department. "We hope to provide a more realistic and well-rounded view than the rah-rah alumni film," said Angela Ferry, "86.

Brigittee R. Gulya '86 of Winthrop House, who will address the parents at a Saturday morning assembly, said she plans to talk about the highlights of her three years here. "I'm mainly in step with the Mark Twain saying, how schooling doesn't get in the way of education."

Mather House co-master Patricia A. Herlihy said, "We're making the food at this week's Open House more decorative and labor-intensive because of the parents. And of course there will be higher quality wine."

Margaret W. Brooks and her husband will come see the life and times of their son, Preston W. Brooks '96 of Eliot House. "I love to come up and this weekend is a great focal point. I'm looking forward to meeting other parents, in particular, the parents of my son's roommates. We all love the lads, and we'll form a larger family this weekend," said Margaret Brooks