The Sullivan and Tutu Principles

Some $565 million of Harvard's $2.3 billion endowment is invested in companies which do business in South Africa. During the proxy voting season and the process of intensive dialogue, through which Harvard tries to persuade ethically delinquent corporations to institute reform in South Africa, the University is guided primarily by the recommendations of the Sullivan Principles, developed by Black leader the Rev. Leon Sullivan, a director of General Motors, and the Tutu Principles, named for Black South African Bishop Desmond Tutu. Together, the Principles require the following:

elimination of all racial segregation in work facilities or work-related facilities;

equal and fair employment practices for all employers, including permission for Black and other non-white workers to unionize and bargain collectively on matters relating to wages and conditions of employment;

equal pay for equal work, with an adequate minimum wage;

development of training programs to prepare substantial numbers of Blacks for supervisory, administrative, clerical, and technical jobs;

hiring of Blacks and other nonwhites in management and supervisory positions;

improvements in the quality of employees' lives outside the workplace in such areas as housing education, and community development;

active opposition to the influx control laws, which allow the military police to resettle Blacks randomly throughout the countryside, keeping them from intense political activity;

corporate joint cooperation in fighting the institution of apartheid;

refusal to supply any essential equipment to the South African military, police or any other body which directly enforces apartheid;

that companies do less than 50 percent of their business in South Africa.

The University, however, does not honor the Tutu Principles recommendation that shareholders impose time limits on the corporations in which they invest to adhere to the above reforms.